Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Foster families query

I already have an extensive family tree sorted but recently found my mother had been fostered. Is it an acceptable practice to add the foster family to a "tree" despite no blood or marriage connection? I do not see a "Foster" option on any of the usual programmes.

Starting to feel at home

It depends what site you're using and if the tree is public. Some tree-building programs and websites, for example WikiTree, strictly state the tree should reflect biological relationships only. I know that FamilySearch and FamilyEcho allow you to add multiple sets of parents, and FS in particular lets you specify if a parent-child relationship is adoptive or biological. These are the trees I usually use I personally would add both the biological parents and the adopted parents with a note to clarify the situation.

If the program you're using doesn't allow multiple parental relationships, I'd probably favour biological but definitely add a note somewhere directing to the foster parents. If the tree is for your private use only, though? Add whichever feels right to you.