Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    The census I was looking at isn’t the workhouse or is it? Could it be rooms?
    I think he's a lodger/boarder, and looking at some of the occupations it seems to be a reasonable area (I noticed a couple of stockbrokers and a post office clerk)

I'm also going to throw this out there, just to see what others think.

In the newspaper reports from December 1821 it says that the youngest child of Heneage Ogilvy Pennington and wife Sarah nee Alven was Ellen LOWE Pennington.

Considering that Sarah committed 'criminal conversation' (adultery) with Joseph LOWE, is this a giant red flag?

Ellen Pennington was baptised in 1816 but I lose her after that. However, there is an unmarried Ellen/Eleanor LOWE in the census from 1851 onwards who was born c1816 and gives her PoB variously as London, Walworth and Newington.

She spends most of her life working for Dr David Lloyd who was born c1816 Tring, Hertfordshire. In 1851 ^ 1861 they are in Hinton Waldrist, Faringdon, Berkshire, then they move to Shanklin, Isle of Wight.

David died in 1891, and in 1901 Ellen/Eleanor is in Grove Hill Road, Tonbridge Wells
    Lucy A Lloyd 42 b Berkshire
    Eleanor Low 85 Single, Servant b Walworth, Surrey

Found this.

England Deaths & Burials 1538-1991

Ellen Lowe
    Pennington
    Female
    Burial year 1821
    Burial date 06 Nov 1821
    Burial place St. Stephen Walbrook, London, England
    Place London
    County Middlesex

Oh well that answers that then!

Settling in

Yes, Jomot1, you had offered the possibility of Heneage being mislabelled as Henry. I don't think that is him. I also checked the burial address you mentioned and it doesn't match with his son John(who was in Stanhope Street in St Clemens Dane). And his daughter Sarah was living in India.

Settling in

... then again, you could be right, Jomot1 about it being him. There are lots of human errors in the censuses. Had I not known the address of my Penningtons in 1881 I probably wouldn't have found them as they were written down as Bennington. Thank you also Pamela.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12