Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by patalford View Post
    Pam How do I make this into a new post?
    You don't. I've done it for you.
    If you look at the first post in this thread you'll see that it says exactly what you posted in your George Halford/Alford thread, except that I've changed the name to John, and the title of this tread is now John, not George.
    So just pretend that you did everything correctly in the first instance.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Default Arctic Convoys

Not really relevent to the post but a tribute to my Dad ,John Alford and the rest of the men who served on the Arctic Convoys.
    https://arcticconvoys.co.uk

Starting to feel at home

CROCKER HOPKINS TAYLOR MINNIE ALFORD
    Further info on John Alford the younger Brother of my G/Grandfather William Halford as shown in the 1851 Hawick Census.Their Father William was involved in hosiery in Nottingham and Hawick.
    Hi Pat, Found in Wills and Probate records August 8 1887 Winchester, Hampshire, "John Alford address in UK 47 Agincourt Rd, Buckland, Southampton, Hampshire, retired gunner and widower. To William Alford, stocking framer of 73 Radford Rd, Hyson Green, Nottinghamshire, the grandfather of Minnie Alford and Florence Annie Alford, the daughters and only next of kin." So they two girls are living with their grandfather. BUT on the 1891 census Florence A. Alford born 1879 in Lenton, Notts is living with her grandparents in Greasley, Nottinghamshire and they are shown as Joseph and Ann HOPKINS, Minnie Alford is not present. So I think this is the story, John Alford married Josephine Crocker their children were Minnie 1875 and George 1876 who died. Following the death of Josephine V. Crocker Alford in 1877 John Alford married Mary Ann HOPKINS in 1878 following the birth of their daughter Florence A. Alford in February 1878. Mary Ann Hopkins Alford died in 1882. Minnie Alford shown on the 1939 register with birth date December 6 1875. Minnie married in 1895 to John TAYLOR a Petty Officer in the Coast Guard Service, 1901 census Taylor family living at Fishbourne House, Binsyead, Hampshire chilsren William 4, Minnie 2 and Matilda 3 months, on the 1911 census they were living at no.2 Coast Guard Station, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, Their children Minnie 12,(1899) Matilda Ellen 10, (1901) Thomas 8,(1902) all born Isle of Wight. In 1939 Minnie and John Taylor with children Minnie and Thomas are living at 224 Brockhurst Rd, Gosport, Hampshire. John Taylor is retired naval pensioner, Minnie his wife retired, daughter Minnie has her own upholstery business and Thomas is a labourer at a Ammunition depot and is also listed as an auxillary fireman. Daughter Minnie Taylor married in 1955 at Gosport, Hampshire to Harry BOYES. If you need any further assistance just get back in touch.
    https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59046f33e9379091b1388119/william-halford-1851-roxburghshire-wilton-1811-?locale=en

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by patalford View Post
    CROCKER HOPKINS TAYLOR MINNIE ALFORD
    Further info on John Alford the younger Brother of my G/Grandfather William Halford as shown in the 1851 Hawick Census.Their Father William was involved in hosiery in Nottingham and Hawick.
    Hi Pat, Found in Wills and Probate records August 8 1887 Winchester, Hampshire, "John Alford address in UK 47 Agincourt Rd, Buckland, Southampton, Hampshire, retired gunner and widower. To William Alford, stocking framer of 73 Radford Rd, Hyson Green, Nottinghamshire, the grandfather of Minnie Alford and Florence Annie Alford, the daughters and only next of kin." So they two girls are living with their grandfather. BUT on the 1891 census Florence A. Alford born 1879 in Lenton, Notts is living with her grandparents in Greasley, Nottinghamshire and they are shown as Joseph and Ann HOPKINS, Minnie Alford is not present. So I think this is the story, John Alford married Josephine Crocker their children were Minnie 1875 and George 1876 who died. Following the death of Josephine V. Crocker Alford in 1877 John Alford married Mary Ann HOPKINS in 1878 following the birth of their daughter Florence A. Alford in February 1878. Mary Ann Hopkins Alford died in 1882. Minnie Alford shown on the 1939 register with birth date December 6 1875. Minnie married in 1895 to John TAYLOR a Petty Officer in the Coast Guard Service, 1901 census Taylor family living at Fishbourne House, Binsyead, Hampshire chilsren William 4, Minnie 2 and Matilda 3 months, on the 1911 census they were living at no.2 Coast Guard Station, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, Their children Minnie 12,(1899) Matilda Ellen 10, (1901) Thomas 8,(1902) all born Isle of Wight. In 1939 Minnie and John Taylor with children Minnie and Thomas are living at 224 Brockhurst Rd, Gosport, Hampshire. John Taylor is retired naval pensioner, Minnie his wife retired, daughter Minnie has her own upholstery business and Thomas is a labourer at a Ammunition depot and is also listed as an auxillary fireman. Daughter Minnie Taylor married in 1955 at Gosport, Hampshire to Harry BOYES. If you need any further assistance just get back in touch.
    https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59046f33e9379091b1388119/william-halford-1851-roxburghshire-wilton-1811-?locale=en
    I had pieced some of this together.Some things I didnt know and am gratfull for your help.I believe William (H)Alford left his family between the 1851 and 1861 census for whatever reason and made his own way in the World.He finally met Jane Louisa Bradbury and they had a child they named Annie and she adopted the name Annie Alford.
    Anything further you can find would be appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12