Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Default Storthes Hall Lunatic Asylum

I'm getting lost a few times this morning! A couple of days ago, I read a message somewhere from Patrisia? or Pam? about accessing Workhouse Records, regardless of the 100 year rule.

Whoever it was, said that if you could prove you were of direct descent, then permission for access would be granted. After providing proof, this lady managed to obtain permission. My question is ...... what proof did you have to provide please?
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Patrisia

Sorry Diane, not me but it sounds interesting!

uksearch

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Grant-Salmon
    I'm getting lost a few times this morning! A couple of days ago, I read a message somewhere from Patrisia? or Pam? about accessing Workhouse Records, regardless of the 100 year rule.

Whoever it was, said that if you could prove you were of direct descent, then permission for access would be granted. After providing proof, this lady managed to obtain permission. My question is ...... what proof did you have to provide please?
    Probably birth certificates etc...I check with the Archives here.

UK

Reputation beyond repute

Not knowing doesn't usually inhibit people on these forums* so I'll weigh in and say that I have a vague notion that if you can prove that the individual is dead, you have a right to know what the records say about him or her. That needn't neccessarily be the same as having free reign to browse through the files.

However I think you need to contact the repository concerned because I suspect that they all operate their policies differently.

*I didn't mean this thread, apart from my contribution.

Many thanks for the replies, I was just trying to find out from the lady concerned about proof, as it's the easiest option!

Yes Peter, I'll now have to write to the Archives at Wakefield, as they hold the records for Storthes Hall. It's just that they are so slow in replying .... it was about a week last time I asked something!

Oh well, patience is a virtue!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Just to confirm that it wasn't me either Diane.
    I'm with Peter as regards contacting the depository which holds the records you need. Records less than 100 years old may be available. For instance Lincolnshire FHS have transcribed the death registers for various Workhouses up to the 1930s-1940s, and these give details such as the address of the person, cause of death, date and place of burial.

Pam Downes

Many thanks for replying Pam, I have written to ask about the records and would access be granted.

The only niggle I have now, is wondering where on earth I read this lady's message ...... it's somewhere on these Forums! If ever I stumble across it again, it will be nice to know her name, seeing as it wasn't you or Patrisia as I thought.

uksearch

They tell me here that proof of death and the completion of The Third Party Data Subject Access Request Form is enough. At Liverpool they check the GRO index for proof of death, here they need a certificate.I can't speak for anywhere else.

UK

Thankyou UK for your further info, so now I'll have to wait and see what proof Wakefield Archives wants ...... and wait ..... and wait .... and wait ....

This email received from them:

Thank you for your email.

This office will be closed from Monday 7 November to Friday 11 November. During this time staff will be working on improving access to the local authority collections in our care.

We will continue to deal with urgent emails during this period. General enquiries will be dealt with when the office re-opens on Monday 14 November.

If you wish to make an appointment to visit the Archives, or if your enquiry is urgent please telephone us on +44 (0)1924 305980

For all other enquiries please write to West Yorkshire Archive Service, Wakefield HQ, Newstead Road, Wakefield, WF1 2DE or fax us on +44 (0)1924 305983.

Thank you

AnnB

It's called s*d's law, Diane

Best wishes
    Ann

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast