mikedrob

Default Indian man in R.A.F any ideas?

Hi Everyone
    This is a bit of a cheat because the person I am trying to find out about may of only been in the R.A.F after WW2.I am helping a lady with her family history
    and trying to find out about her father who she never knew.All that is known is that he was born in India,his surname was **,he was in the R.A.F in the late 1950's and possibly before and after.We now think he was not an officer.We have no idea in what capacity he served or rank or where he served.The lady has been in touch with R.A.F Innsworth and the most they will say is that there was a person of that surname who enlisted and served with the R.A.F but will not disclose anymore unless we can come up with a first name or service number.I have tried leaving messages on several forces
    reunited type websites appealing for anyone who may remember serving with someone of this name.I have also contacted R.A.F.A (Royal Air Force Association)with no joy.Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can find out about this gentleman?.The ladies mother lived in the Poplar area of London,
    although we are not sure exactly how or where she met him.If he was with the R.A.F what would he be doing in Poplar.I have been told that the nearest
    R.A.F base? was at Chigwell but that might of only been during WW2.
    regards
    Mike Roberts
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 28-04-2011 at 1:12 AM. Reason: removed name of possible living person

Geoffers

If the dad did not marry her mum, and is not named on the certificate, have you tried any directories, the chap may only have served in the RAF for a short time and lived locally.

Geoffers

SHG1

Hello, Mike Roberts, I saw your 2005 Post today and thought I would reply to it. There actually WAS an R.A.F STATION based in POPLAR! It was No.1 R.A.F. MOVEMENT UNIT (EMBARKATION) at Glengall Grove, Poplar, London E.14. I was in the RAF and was stationed there from ca. 1951 to 1954. The Unit was on a Site located behind some of the Houses fronting onto Glengall Grove, Poplar, E.14. The Unit was basically an RAF Shipping Office dealing with transports in or out through the various East London Docks. We also had a similar Detachment based at Tilbury Docks, also operated by the Poplar Unit. Whilst I DO recall a couple of Airmen from the West Indies on my Unit, I cannot recall anyone who was Indian. Could he perhaps have been from the West Indies (Jamaica?)? The Name means nothing to me at the moment. Perhaps R.A.F. Records Office might be able to help. If I can help further, please email me at shg AT indigo DOT ie Sydney
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 28-04-2011 at 1:16 AM. Reason: disguised email address to avoid spammers