Thread: Boot closer

Patrisia

Default Boot closer

Can anyone tell me what a boot closer did?
    I assume it involved finshing off the boot but is there a more precise definition?

Lynda Cunningham

Hi Patrisia

Boot Closer = Stitched the shoe uppers to the soles

best wishes
    Lynda

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Patrisia
    Can anyone tell me what a boot closer did?
    I assume it involved finshing off the boot but is there a more precise definition?
    From 'A Dictionary of Old Trades, Titles and Occupations' by Colin Waters, publi Countryside Books, Newbury ISBN 1 85306 601 X

"Boot closer - Shoe manufactory worker who stitches the upper part of the shoe."

Geoffers

I think this is because there is always a particular order in which seams are stitched - when making almost anything really - and the last seam is called the closing seam. Well it is in clothing factories anyway, so the person who stitches that seam would be called the closer. and with mass production the whole thing would not be made by one person. even today it is still the same - or it was when we had a manufacturing industry

Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Patrisia

Thanks everyone; that's more or less what I expected but it's always worth asking.
    Given that it is connected to my recent Welsh discoveries, I did wonder if it could be anything to do with rugby - but I couldn't possibly say that, I might be booted off for very bad puns!

Eiton

Default boot and shoe closers

Hi there Patrisia,

I used to be a closer in a boot and shoe factor and can tell you everyone has it right. All of my family especially the males worled within this occupation. The upper comes in parts. Sides; tongues; aprons; saddles; back strips; and many more with different fashions. It is hard work but fun as the room is full of hard nosed women who are able to coverse just a rough and bawdry as the men in the rooms below. I was a young 15 years of age when i started there and i can tell you i grew up fast. --Eiton