Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    charlton

Default John Carrington - Master Mariner - Born Manchester

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with information on my GG Grandfather. His name is John Carrington.

On the 1881 Census (living in Wales), John Carrington was aged 60, and listed birthplace as Manchester, John was a retired master Mariner at this time. I haven't been able to find any baptism information.

At 1881 he is married to Mary Anne, but I don't have the marriage entry, but it should be around 1856.

Appreciate any help, thank-you,

Charlton

uksearch

This maybe him in 1871 in Flintshire at RG 10 5642 folio 82.You'll need to give us more details if there is to be any likelyhood of his baptism or marriage being found.

UK

charlton

Hi UK,

During 1881 Census, John was at the Carrington Family Home: 5 South Parade, Abergele, Denbighshire. John was aged 60, a retired Mariner. Birthplace was listed as: Manchester.

Also present at this residence were :

Occ: Retired Mariner
    Mary Anne CARRINGTON M 55 F London, Middlesex, England
    Rel: Wife
    Occ: Lodgins Apartments
    John CARRINGTON U 30 M Birmingham
    Rel: Son
    Occ: Master Mariner
    Charles CARRINGTON 12 M Pant Asaph, Flint, Wales
    Rel: Son
    Occ: Scholar
    Sophia Anne CARRINGTON 11 F Pant Asaph, Flint, Wales
    Rel: Daughter
    Occ: Scholar
    Catherin WILLIAMS W 50 F Abergele, Denbigh, Wales
    Rel: Servant
    Occ: General Servant Domestic

Source: FHL Film 1342329 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5531 Folio 29 Page 5

From family information, John married in 1856. The census indicates that John was born abt 1821.

I was hoping that someone could assist by identifyng John on other Census's, that may lead to more information.

Thanks!

Charlton
    Last edited by charlton; 03-09-2005 at 12:49 AM.

uksearch

It could well be them.
    RG 10 5642 folio 82 Schedule 82
    * Gorsedd,Flint
    John CARRINGTON..H..M..50..Gentleman employing 1 boy..Lancs,Manchester
    Mary Ann..W..M..44..Gentleman's Wife..Middlesex,London
    Emma..D..U..22..Gentleman's Dau..London
    John..S..U..20..Gentleman's son..Warwick,Birmingham
    George..S..7..Lancs,??????
    Charley..S..5..Flint,?????
    Sophia..D..1..Flint,?????
    Catherine WILLIAMS..Serv..Wid..38..Gen Dom Servant..Denbigh,Abergele
    David EDWARDS..Sev..U..19..Coachman Dom..Flint,NK

* I make no attempt this address

UK
    Last edited by uksearch; 02-09-2005 at 12:31 PM.

charlton

Hi UK,

that is definately them. This information add's a daughter to John and Mary Ann that I didn't know about. It would also appear that John moved, at some point from his birthplace in Manchester to Birmingham, then Wales.

Still looking for the marriage of John and Mary Ann (around 1856) and the baptism of John in Manchester.

Thank-you for your help, I would appreciate any further advice.

Charlton

uksearch

Emma..D..U..22..Gentleman's Dau..London
    What about London as a place for the marriage?

UK

charlton

Hi Uk,

thanks for the tip- however, the IGI (from www.familysearch.org) shows Emma Carrington as baptised in St Martin Birmingham.

Still no further on the baptism of John Carrington. As John was born in Manchester, is it likely he started his career as a Mariner in Manchester? Does any one know of any web sites on Manchester based Master Mariners?

Can anyone help with earlier Census information that will help to place John Carrington?

Thank-you,

Charlton

Wirral

Think I have found them in the 1861 census. No sign of John snr., he is probably at sea.
    RG9/2701 folio 25 page 18, 118 Warwick St, Toxteth Park, Liverpool, Lancashire [St Thomas parish]
    Mary A. Carrington head M 35
    Emma Carrington dau 12 scholar
    Margaret Costella serv U 22 general servant

Unfortunately the enumerator did not fill in the occupation of Mary oo where she & the others were born. However, a number of their neighbours are master mariners or mariners wives & the area is a very prosperous one. John Jnr, 10, is a boarder at a school in Sandy Lane, Lymm, Cheshire (only 8 boarders & 2 teachers at the school, so looks like a very small one)
    As Manchester is inland, I suspect that either John Snr's father came from the coast & that they happened to be visiting Manchester when he was born; or else the family moved away to the coast.

Geoffers

Have you tried to look for a master's certificate of competence. This will include his year and place of birth - In a couple of cases where census gives a very general place of birth (i.e. a large city), I've found a certificate gives a specific place or parish within a city - having mentioned that, many that I've seen do just record London, or wherever; but it might be worth a look; I'd guess that you might find a record in either BT126 or BT127.

You'll find a research guide on TNA's web-site
    https://www.catalogue.nationalarchive...uidesindex.asp

Geoffers

Wirral

Just taken a walk up to the library where they have the Liverpool trade directories (the original volumes, not on film - much easier to look through).
    1857 Carrington John master mariner 72 Windsor St
    1859 & 1860, Carrington John master mariner 114 Warwick St
    1862, 1864, 1865 Carrington John master mariner, 59 Elizabeth St
    1868 Carrington John gentleman 59 Elizabeth St (Henry Edward Thorpe, book keeper, is also listed at this address. He is still there in the next directory)

No sign of John before 1857 or after 1868.

Carrington is not a common name in the Liverpool directories of that time - only about 5 listed. The only possible connections were:
    1870, 1871, 1872 Carrington Henry mariner 112 Athol St
    1824 Carrington Samuel gentleman, 17 Daulby St

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast