skb2

Default Coroner's Inquest - Newspaper Reports

I'm hoping to get to Manchester soon to look this up myself, but is there an expert out there who could give me a few pointers to speed things up?

I'm interested in the death of a relative 40 - 50 years ago. I understand that you can't look at a coroner's report from that time unless you have a very good reason (- which I don't. I'm just curious. The death certificate says accidental death, so why an inquest?), but that there are often reports in local papers, which might be available on microfilm.

This person lived in Salford, died at the Jewish Hospital Manchester and the death certificate was issued by the Manchester Coroner.

So...
    is there always an inquest after a death in hospital?
    does it suggest that someone thought there was foul play?
    did they have reports in the Manchester Evening News?
    or some other paper?
    did they appear on a particular day of the week or month?
    would I find a microfilm copy - 1960's - in Manchester Central Library?

jeeb

Default Coroner's report

Hi,
    The death certificate can only be issued after a Coroners inquest followed by a Coroner's report on his findings in cases where the death could be suspicious or the deceased had not seen a doctor in the previous 3 weeks. The certificate in your relatives case would have been issued after the Coroner had recorded accidental death and not the other way round. Coroner's reports are supposedly kept secret for 75 years except to relatives and parties who prove they have a valid requirment to know the result. You may well be able to show you are related and gain access to the report of your relative.
    Many newspapers did record Coroner's reports at the time of death.

With regards to your question about Hospital deaths, my wife died 4 years ago in hospital from a serious illness and was for the last 5 weeks of her life on a life support machine with constant round the clock care. After her death there was a Coroners Inquest before the death certificate was issued. I never quite understood the need for this apart from the fact that she was still quite young, so maybe it is the norm.
    Jeremy

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb
    or the deceased had not seen a doctor in the previous 3 weeks.
    It should be added that the doctor can only issue the certificate in these circumstances if she/he had seen the patient for the same matter which caused the death.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb
    my wife died 4 years ago in hospital from a serious illness and was for the last 5 weeks of her life on a life support machine with constant round the clock care. After her death there was a Coroners Inquest before the death certificate was issued. I never quite understood the need for this
    I'm sorry to read the above, Jeremy. Since you mention it, I believe this may have been because her life could be sustained only by artificial means. A coroner would have to be satisifed that there was no hope of recovery and that the illness from which your wife sadly suffered ultimately caused her death

Geoffers

uksearch

Quote Originally Posted by skb2
    SNIP
    So...
    is there always an inquest after a death in hospital?
    does it suggest that someone thought there was foul play?
    did they have reports in the Manchester Evening News?
    or some other paper?
    did they appear on a particular day of the week or month?
    would I find a microfilm copy - 1960's - in Manchester Central Library?
    There are Micro films of the MEN for every day that they printed from 1868 onwards.Up till 1963 The Manchester Evening Chronicle was printed.They did cover inquests, but please bear in the size of newspapers were restricted (for one reason or another,ex print worker talking) and that many inquests were not reported in the MEN or MEC.

cont...
    Last edited by uksearch; 23-10-2005 at 2:04 PM.

uksearch

cont...

It may well be that the inquest my have been reported in a district rag.Having stated that I am looking at the of microfilmed newspapers kept here..not a lot for Salford.Let me know where your relative lived.
    Just to add to the other comments about when Inquests are held see the link below
    https://jcp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/extract/54/6/495

This obviously applied in 2001.

UK
    Last edited by uksearch; 22-10-2005 at 1:57 PM.

skb2

Thanks everyone. This is all useful stuff which is helping to focus my thoughts.

uk - the lady lived in Higher Broughton. The only local paper I know is the Salford City Reporter. I believe the Jewish hospital is/was in Cheetham Hill area, so don't know what would have covered there.

uksearch

I can't see anything here other than the MEN & MEC that covers the period that you are looking at.

UK