Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chris Bass

Question Would like help tracing my Grandfather

Hi, my Grandfather was Edwin Carpenter, he was born in Kings Lynn and the only Edwin I can find is Edwin Charles b. Mar 1890, which I presume is him. I am told he was brought up with his cousin Lily (so I assume either his or Lily's parents died young). I remember staying with Lily in Lynn when I was young, (she had a daughter Susanne and her partner was Ernest). I know nothing else about the family history.
    Edwin was in the RAF in World War 1 and invalided out at the end of the war, he was sent to Royston in Cambridgeshire to recover, and there meet my grandmother Winifred Keen. They married and moved back to Lynn, but by the time my mother was born (1924) they were living in Cambridge.
    If anyone can help trace his family or at least give me a start I would be grateful.
    Regards
    Chris

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bass
    Hi, my Grandfather was Edwin Carpenter, he was born in Kings Lynn and the only Edwin I can find is Edwin Charles b. Mar 1890, which I presume is him
    Hello and welcome to the Norfolk forums.

First off, do you have your grandfather's marriage certificate and/or death certificate?

Depending on when he died, his death certificate will either give an age from which a year of birth can be estimated; or his full date of birth. Using these will help to narrow down finding his birth and also looking for him on the 1901 census.
    https://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Edwin CARPENTER's marriage certificate is the most important document to obtain. This will give an age at marriage and should record his father's name and occupation. This will again help you to identify the family on the 1901 census. If you are not sure how to seach for and obtain copies of marriage certificates, please ask.

continued.......

Geoffers

Part 2.....

If it is your chap who was born at Lynn in 1890, he should also appear on the 1891 census. A surname index exists to the 1891 Norfolk census on Paddy Apling's web-site
    https://apling.freeservers.com/CensusInfo.htm

There are CARPENTER entries for Lynn on the following pages of the site
    https://apling.freeservers.com/1891Census/KingsLynn3.htm
    https://apling.freeservers.com/1891Census/KingsLynn4.htm
    If you don't have access to the 1891 census, free lookups are provided by the indexers on Paddy Apling's site. The indexer's name appears near the top of each page. Include the reference given in any request.

continued......

Geoffers

Part 3....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bass
    I am told he was brought up with his cousin Lily
    Do you know Lily's surname and roughly when she was born?

Kelly's 1908 Directory shows two Carpenter entris for Lynn:
    Albert in Church Lane; and Fredk J in High Street.

Fredk J is shown as trading under the name 'Laws & Co' brewers and maltsters, etc & Chevalier Brewery, Church Lane.

continued.....

Geoffers

Part 4.....

Looking at the 1881 census, there are two Carpenter entries for Lynn

RG11/2000 f84 p21
    S Everard Street, South Lynn
    Frederick J. CARPENTER, hd, mar, 43, Brewer, bn Lynn
    Stella Carpenter, wf, mar, 42, bn Waltham, Berks
    Agnes F Carpenter, dau, unm, 17, bn Lynn
    Alice A Carpenter, dau, unm, 13, bn Lynn
    Albert L Carpenter, son, 9, scholar, bn Lynn
    Mary Carpenter, Sister-in-Law, mar, 48, bn Lynn
    Robert L Carpenter, Brother, 47, bn Lynn
    Hannah SKIPPER, servt, unm, 14, dom.servt, bn Castleacre

continued.....

Geoffers

Part 5......

and next door to Frederick is......

RG11/2000 f84 p21
    S Everard St, South Lynn
    Ann CARPENTER, hd, wid, 73, bn Thornham
    Julia Craven, gdaur, unm, 21, bn Thornham
    Robert Craven, gson, unm, 19, clerk in a brewery, bn Thornham
    Ellen Craven, gdaur, unm, 16, bn Thornham

so, I got to wondering if Lily's surname might be Craven. It's probably coincidence, but the 1901 census index shows a Lily Craven, aged 18 as born in Lynn and living in Clee, Lincs.

Geoffers

Chris Bass

Question Edwin Carpenter

Hi , Thanks for all the info you have supplied, I have some checking to do now. I had found a marriage for a Edwin Henry Carpenter in Kings Lynn in Mar 1889 and wondered if this was my Edwin's father, but neither of the Carpenters you have found list an Edwin.
    Well at least I now have several leads.
    Many thanks
    Chris

Chris Bass

Default Lily

Hi, sorry this is a PS, not sure about Lily but from recollection she was about the same age as my Grandfather.
    Chris

Wirral

I think I have your Edwin in the 1891 census, living with his mother Sarah (nee Ollet)who is married, but her husband is not at home on census night. Also in house are grandparents, aunts & uncles & a newborn brother (unnamed).
    If you send me a private message I will send you the link so you can see the page.

Wirral

Hi Chris
    Hope you have got the link by now. Looks like Lilly Victoria Ollett is not Edwin jnr's cousin, she is his aunt, but is only 6 years older than him. Found the Olletts in the 1901 census, but the Carpenters are not with them. Lilly was a music teacher in 1901.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast