a1an99

Default Missing Marriage?

I'm new to this forum so be patient with me......................... In 1861 my grt grandfather, Jonas WHITHAM was living in Wakefield with his family and shown has married but I can not find his wife. The next year, 1862, according to the family bible he married, Sarah CARTWRIGHT born 16.7.1839 in Anwick Lincolnshire but I can find no trace of their marriage on the GRO index. Does anyone have access to the church records of any church in Anwick and can look up the above marriage possibly dated 17.8.1862.

Thank you in anticipation.

Alan

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by a1an99
    In 1861 my grt grandfather, Jonas WHITHAM was living in Wakefield with his family and shown has married but I can not find his wife.
    Could you post details of the census entry. The Jonas WHITHAM I found in Wakefield was shown as a widower.

Quote Originally Posted by a1an99
    The next year, 1862, according to the family bible he married, Sarah CARTWRIGHT born 16.7.1839 in Anwick Lincolnshire but I can find no trace of their marriage on the GRO index.
    Have you searched the full GRO index, or the freebmd web-site? When searching for surnames, don't forget to check for variant spellings.

The spelling of surnames did not become finally fixed until the start of the 20th century; you might need to check under WHYTHAM, WYTHAM, WHITAM, etc.

Geoffers