Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default LDS Records and Parish Registers

Back in 1994 when I started research I viewed a map showing all English Counties and on each County there was shown how much of the Parish Registers have been copied by the LDS.

I think it shown that most Counties had their records fully copied by the LDS.

There was quite a number that only a percentage of the records in the Registers had been copied. That was eleven years ago. Is it still like that today or is there an update of progress somewhere.

Burrow Digger

I believe that the LDS were forced to stop collecting OPR's because the Church of England kicked up a fuss when they discovered that the Mormons were "baptising" the English parishoners into heaven - which goes against anglican beliefs.

As far as I know the LDS gave not been allowed to do anything more since that time.

Ancestry is now collecting the information. They dont "baptise" anyone into heaven. There is a thread in this forum somewhere about how the NRO has given microfilms to Ancestry to be digitised, and those films are still in the USA. which means that people like Rod cannot get them to digitise and make CDs to sell to us.

Burrow Digger

Burrow Digger

I think it shown that most Counties had their records fully copied by the LDS.

The LDS are dreaming if they think they got MOST of the counties fully copied.

Devon is quite well covered - but there are some names & places that I cant find info for at all on the IGI.

Somerset on the other hand is very BADLY covered.
    NONE of my Somerset names from Milverton (Wellington District) for example, are on the IGI

BD
    Last edited by Burrow Digger; 15-10-2005 at 11:26 AM.

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default LDS Records and Parish Registers

Hi Burrow Digger

Many thanks for that reply.

Looks like it answers my question fully.

Rove.

BeeE586

I do not know the full extent of this website, but it was mentioned in a previous thread and I have used it. It seems to be the IGI ordered by parishes rather than alphabetically by surname and shows the years covered. It may be worth a try.

freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/

No doubt other, more knowledgeable, posters will have more information.

Eileen

jeeb

Wink Igi

Hi Rove,
    In addition to 'Burrow Digger's' reply (how right he is about Somerset) never take the IGI for granted. I am first to admit the IGI is a wonderful aid to genealogists but is also responsible for many people's errors. I have often found cases when I have used the IGI and then checked later, as one always must, that there have been omittances for no apparent reason, eg. it may list 5 children to a couple and leave out a sixth even though it is plainly there, the reference will tell you the years have been covered. The other problem I have found with IGI is the way they link names together, I research the name Boaz, sometimes it is found with Boase, sometimes with Boss and once with Boat! Yet Boze, a common mis- spelling of the name is under something quite different. As I said before the IGI is a wonderful guide but as I tell my audiences when giving talks, always double check and take nothing for granted.
    Jeremy.

Terry

Hi, a word of warning about Devon records in the IGI. Any C of E (parish church) records are taken from transcriptions and NOT from parish records. The only Devon records taken direct from registers are Non-conformist records which are in the N. A. (PRO). The situation has always been with Devon, and still is, that the LDS were refused permission to film any parish registers.

Guy Etchells

Yes there are a few unchristian spirited vicars who refused permission, however the LDS were in many cases of such action given permission to film the BTs.
    Cheers
    Guy

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells
    Yes there are a few unchristian spirited vicars who refused permission, however the LDS were in many cases of such action given permission to film the BTs.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Huh ... the LDS are "christian" ... i don't think so.

Mark

Linda

If it wasn't for the LDS family history centres, which I can visit at no charge, and no charge for their equipment or the films, fiches and books held in their library, I would never have been able to get as far as I have with my family research.

I am not a member of their church, and I have never been asked to join the church or submit any of my research to them during the 5 years that I have been using their library.

Anyone with access to the internet can access the information on their website for free. Hands up any family researcher who can say they have NEVER used that free service. All we have to remember is to double check the information.

I for one am very thankful of their hospitality, whether it is considered "christian" or not.

Linda

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast