Thread: Monamy

Ronaxl

Question Monamy

Looking for information on the Monamy family of Jersey.

My g-grandmother was Eleanor Mary Monamy (born 1863 St Saviour, Jersey) who married Edwin Isherwood and moved to Pembrokeshire. Her mother was Celestine Monamy nee Benard (born 1826 in France) and her father was John Monamy (born 1824 St Clement, Jersey). Celestine's mother was Marie Benard - variously spelt Bernard and Besnard.

Eleanor had siblings: Celina, Abraham, Lydia, Mary Ann, Jane and Alfred. All born on Jersey.

Any information would be gratefully received. I have the census returns but wonder if I can get back beyond them.

Rona

SMRMvolant86

HI Rona, I can see it's been a while since you posted & you may have given up this link by now but here goes anyway. My grandfather, Francis John Malherbe's mother, Lydia, was Celestine & John's daughter. (Although I have her surname spelt BESNARD). You have probably moved the whole thing further on by now but I could help fill in my connections to you. Here's hoping you get this. Stewart

john monamy

Default john monamy

Quote Originally Posted by SMRMvolant86 View Post
    HI Rona, I can see it's been a while since you posted & you may have given up this link by now but here goes anyway. My grandfather, Francis John Malherbe's mother, Lydia, was Celestine & John's daughter. (Although I have her surname spelt BESNARD). You have probably moved the whole thing further on by now but I could help fill in my connections to you. Here's hoping you get this. Stewart
    Hi Stewart,
    FYI I too am a John George Monamy as was my father and his father also. I have some baptismal records that go back to the 1600's as a matter of interest.
    I was in Paris last September and saw two Monamy's in the phone book but was out of time so did not make contact.
    John

Laycock

Hello Stewart. I just came back after forgetting my password etc. So now I have created a new account. If you have any information on the Monamy family I would be really grateful. Best wishes Rona

Quote Originally Posted by SMRMvolant86 View Post

Laycock

I would be really interested in any info you have on the Mondamy family. I have been a bit out of touch with family history stuff for quite a while and have just got back into again so all contrubutions will be gratefully received. I always wondered where the Monamies came from in France, the closest I have found were around the Cherbourge area ... Beaumont-Hague - which would make sense since that is so close to the Channel Islands. Best wishes Rona

Quote Originally Posted by john monamy View Post
    Hi Stewart,
    FYI I too am a John George Monamy as was my father and his father also. I have some baptismal records that go back to the 1600's as a matter of interest.
    I was in Paris last September and saw two Monamy's in the phone book but was out of time so did not make contact.
    John