Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    android

Default What is Cissie short for??

I have an ancestor who alledgedly moved to Canada by the maiden name of Cissie RATCLIFFE! What do others believe it short for? I cannot find a child baptised by that name! I cannot find a marriage between Cissie and her SPENCER husband, nor can i find one between any of the known children and a SPENCER male! Dont know when, don't know where (as the song goes) but the decade post WW1 seems likely! Any advice out there?

Suebartlett

Hi
    I have a Sissy that was short for Celia. May also have been Cecilia or Cecile.
    Sue

jeeb

Default Cissie

It can often be a shortened form of Priscilla.

Jeremy

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

The family always called my Grandmother Cissie ..... her forename was Christiana!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Smile

I've seen it as a shortened version of FRANCIS, could be because of the cis at the end.

TerryK

Default cissy

They called me cissy at school, and my name is Terence ?

It`s a hard life

Clive Blackaby

My mother's cousin Frances was known as Cissie. Only found her real name when researching the family tree and found her mother's middle name was Frances - the rest was pure deduction
    Last edited by Clive Blackaby; 16-09-2005 at 1:00 AM. Reason: missed the apostrophe :)

My ex husband's aunt was known as Cissie and her given name was Cecelia

Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Lynda Cunningham

My grandmother was called Cissie Georgina.
    I assumed Cissie wasn't her *real* name, but they are the names on her birth, marriage & death certificates.

I've just had a look on FreeBMD and there are four Cissie RATCLIFFE births listed between 1904 & 1910.

Best wishes
    Lynda

kmdward

my great-aunt was known as Cissie short for 'little sister' only girl in a family of boys, her real name was May.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast