Thread: Naval Crews

Default Naval Crews

Hi Guys

Would anybody know if there were crew members from Abertillery, Monmouthshire, on the Aboukir, Good Hope or Monmouth please in the Great War.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I would not claim that this is the only man from Abertillery, but I could only find a Gilbert Harries HMS Monmouth.

Martin

Thanks Martin appreciated, there's about 80 names on the towns main memorial with no known regiment, just guessing that most perished 1914/15, will look at the naval casualties site for his service number and hopefully pick him up on the electoral lists.

I have moved this thread to the more appropriate WW1 forum.

I've just finished identifying the WW1 casualties buried in the Netherlands, and found that the best place to start was CWGC.org. It gives regiment, ship, etc for most of the known people, and sometimes more info. It can be of limited help if only initials are known rather than forenames, or if there's a lot of very common names, but it'll help reduce the number still to be identified.

BTW, I don't know why you selected the Aboukir. There were 3 ships involved in that disaster - The Aboukir, Cressy and Hogue, and quite a lot of others went down in the Channel.

Hi Lesley

Regards the Aboukir, may have matched the surnames with the correct initial in "De Ruvigny", but guessing, probably end up trawling the newspapers of the day.