Thread: W M Harris

W M Harris

Default W M Harris

W. Evans, my Maternal Grandfather was wounded at Colenso during the Boer War; he subsequently died and was buried at sea (early 1900 ?), while being returned to England.
    I continue to receive information re W EVANS service in the years after his death.

I'm sorry, but could you please clarify this? What do the initials stand for? (I'm sure that you'll appreciate that Evans is not the rarest of surnames and any bit of information helps.
    Find My Past gave me 114 hits on "W Evans" in their Boer War collection.

Also I don't understand what you mean by the last line - how could he serve after his death?

If you have come to the British Genealogy Forum from FWR, I think that you may find the message HERE useful.

W M Harris

Essentially, I am trying to discover My Grandfather's ancestry; I know that he was named Will Evans, born in Boston, U.S.A., fought in the Boer War where he was wounded at Colenso and subsequently died on a hospital ship, as he was being returned to England. Prior to 1899, he married a Dolly Morgan of London; they had only one child, a daughter: Dorothy Colenso Evans, born March 21st, 1900.
    To date, I have been unable to find more information, other than his name was probably William John Evans of Boston, one of several brothers.

All I can find at the moment is info that you probably have - Dorothy Colseno Evans was born in Marylbone in 1900. She married William G. Harris in Pancras in 1918. In the 1911 census, she's living with her aunt, Mary L. Murton (dressmaker aged 21, b. St Pancras), in London and 4 siblings of Mary's.

Can't find Will&Dolly's marriage or the family in 1901.

W M Harris

Thanks for your help. Dorothy Colenso Evans was born, March 21st, 1900. Her father, William John Evans had died on a hospital ship, as a result of being wounded at Colenso, during the Boer War. Her Mother died of consumption and Dorothy was "taken in" by her Aunt Mary and grew up under her care, until her marriage to William Gilbert Harris about 1918.
    William John Evans served in the Boer War and died as a result of wounds received at "Colenso". I am looking for information about his ancestry. i.e., Date of Birth, Nationality, Mother and Father, Date and circumstances of his death. etc.

There's a 2324 Pte WJ Evans, d. 30 May 1900, Wiltshire Regt, but he's quoted as having died at Bloemfontein.

Also (deaths not specified)

Pte WJ Evans of the Welch Regt
    241 Pte WJE of the Queensland Mounted Infantry
    3333 Pte WJE of the 11th (Prince Albert's Own Hussars and then the 6th Dragoon Guards.

25968 Trooper William John E of the Prince of Wales Light Horse.

There's also hordes of "W Evans" and "William Evans".....