JanieP

Default Charles Page L/8172 Royal Sussex

I believe the above to be a great uncle who died 09.05.1915 but there were a number of Charles Page in the Royal Sussex.
    I have located cemetery but am unable to establish next of kin/parents etc to confirm the "family" link.
    Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated as I intend to visit his grave on the 100year anniversary of his death.
    Janie
    Last edited by JanieP; 03-03-2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Mis-spelling

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Janie,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I've found three 'definite' Charles, and one 'possible' (listed by initials C F) killed in WW1 and listed on the CWGC site.

What do you know, family-wise, about Charles? i.e. when he was born, parents, brothers and sisters, where he lived, did he have a second name, was he married.
    And are you basing the name of his regiment purely on the fact that he lived in Sussex? Because not everyone joined their 'local' regiment.

Pam

JanieP

Hi Pam
    Thanks for quick reply.
    I know that "my" Charles Page was born 04.09.1883 - parents Harry and Hannah who lived in Laughton at the time of the birth.
    This would indicate that he and L/8172 are one and the same but feel I need further proof to be certain.
    Any chance of finding enlistment or death certificate?
    Janie

Reputation beyond repute

So far as I can see there were three people named Charles Page born in the Hailsham registration district at about the right time to be caught up in the war. You have one of them (presumably). So you have two more birth certificates to order. If neither of these people were born in Laughton, you've proved your case.

I intend to visit his grave
    According to the CWGC site, there is no known grave. His name is commemorated on Le Touret memorial.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Soldiers Died In The Great War has Charles Page L/8172 birth place as LANGTON, SUSSEX. It could be a miss spelling.

Keith

JanieP

Thanks - have found picture of headstone at Le Tourette's - waiting for other certs.

JanieP

Hopefully it ia a mis-spelling as I cannot see there is a Langton in Sussex.