Thread: jilted

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default jilted

Hi
    Hope this is the correct forum,
    but is there any way of finding out if someone was jilted at the alter or register office would there still be
    a record of the registrations of the marriage even though it happened?
    I have a cousin who has no idea of his father because of this happened to his mum and he has only just found out he was born 1952
    regards
    Lj

Reputation beyond repute

Generally speaking there would be no marriage record because there was no marriage. I have seen a 19th marriage register entry where the names are shown but crossed through with a note to the effect that the man and woman were both drunk and were sent away - unmarried of course

However, if the intended marriage was in church (Church of England), you should be able to find a record of the banns in the banns register (or registers if two parishes were involved)

Knowledgeable and helpful

I have a copy of a Church of Ireland marriage record in October 1843 where the vicar had evidently filled in all the details prior to the couple’s arrival. Where he would normally then sign to say he had undertaken the ceremony, there is instead a sad note saying: “Did not come – She was married next day to another man.”

(Quite how the bride managed that without another licence puzzles me, but anyway it’s what the register says.)
    ELWYN

thank you it gives me something to work on
    Lj

Thanks will try and find out but some how thinks it may have been a register office as she was pregnant at the time!
    Lj

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The Banns for a Registry office used to be posted on a notice board outside the office!

You could also look for a licence as an alternative to posting the banns 3 weeks before the intended date of marriage.

even though this happened in 1952?

Reputation beyond repute

So far as I know copies of the notice of intended marriage and copies of the certificate (register office marriages are usually "by certificate") are not available for public perusal. They may not even be kept.

Please do bear in mind that your cousin being told this doesn't mean it's necessarily true. If you really do want to try and track down a father, the best plan is to follow the advice in the book "My Ancestor was a Bastard" by Ruth Paley published by the Society of Genealogists. I think the advice would boil down to searching court records for a maintenance order. I believe the relevant court would be the petty sessions / magistrates court for the area where the mother was living.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

#6 #7

Yes i recall working in the same office block as a Registrars Office in the early 1970's

Just done a google search and found this from durham.gov.uk

The notice(s) will be displayed on the notice board at the register office for a period of 15 days. From Monday 2 March 2015, this will increase to 28 days. After this period, an authority for the marriage can be issued.

Today there is an article in the Daily Telegraph advising of the increase in the number of days, stating that the Registrar now has to report suspicious marriage requests ' scam marriages'

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have been looking through some old newspapers and came across a report of case where the jilted bride sued the errant groom for breach of promise and was awarded £1,500 in damages.

So it might well be worth search any newspapers available for the expression "breach of promise" - don't restrict your search to papers local to the area in question, as these sorts of stories were syndicated all over the UK. The story I found was reported in a Pembrokeshire paper, but actually relates to Exeter, London, Paris and Bristol!