sucherro

Default SCRANCHER Mary ANN

Hi trying to find if this lady married in to the BARRETT family from DEWADE in Norfolk.

I have her birth date as 1855 and born in BECCLES SUFFOLK.

Living in HAPTON at the time of the 1891 census. Just gives me Mary Ann no surname

With Robert Barrett husband born 1855
    6 children last of whom I believe to be my G father birthdate 1891.John David Gooch Barrett. Gooch only comes up in his marriage certificate.

Thanks for any forthcoming info.

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you seen this?

MARY ANN SCRANCHER

Marriage year 1881

on the same page is ROBERT BARRETT

District DPWADE
    County Norfolk
    Country England
    Volume 4B
    Page 419

2 baptisms from different years.

Mary Ann Scrancher
    Baptism Date: 27 Apr 1856
    Baptism Place: Hapton Parish, Norfolk County, England
    Father: Isaac Scrancher
    Mother Elizabeth

Mary Ann Scrancher
    Baptism Date: 21 Jun 1857
    Baptism Place: Hapton Parish, Norfolk County, England
    Father: Thomas Scrancher
    Mother: Maria

There is a naval service reference to a John David Gooch Barrett on Ancestry.

sucherro

Default confused

Hi thanks for the info , confusing to say the least . birth date was from the census , baptism dates you gave need not relate, as she may not have been actually baptised till later ??

The two parents confused me ...guess ill have to find out about the parents and which are hers ..

Have you seen the later census which includes a Frederick SCRANCHER/BARRETT? 1911 census has him as Stepson,presuming Robert filled in census this would appear to be Mary Ann's son from before Marraige to Robert!
    1881 census has Frederick with grandparents Isaac and Elizabeth SCRANCHER.

Noticed the name SCRANCHER is also transcribed as Schrencher/Crencher and Croncher in various records.

Not unusual for DOB to vary and be out by few years.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by sucherro View Post
    6 children last of whom I believe to be my G father birthdate 1891.John David Gooch Barrett. Gooch only comes up in his marriage certificate.
    I may have mis read this, but it seems to me that you are not certain that you have correctly identified your grandfather. If that is the case then you need to go back to first principles.

You need the birth certificate of the parent whose father you think it is. That will give you both parents’ names, and the occupation of the father.

Then you need to check that the names on the birth certificate correspond with those on the marriage certificate you refer to. Also look at the occupations – do they correspond?

You then need to identify your grandfather’s birth. Looking at the civil registration there are 2 possibles:

John David Barrett 1892 Jul quarter Depwade volume 4B page 249
    John Barrett 1891 Jan quarter Depwade volume 4B page 247

I presume that the 1891 census that you refer to is the one referenced RG12 Piece 1546 Folio 47 Page 4. If you know for certain that your grandfather was John David Barrett, then you have to ask yourself have you identified the right family, as there is a birth of that name 1 year later after the census, and the family that you are looking at has a son called John and another called David.

At the time of the 1891 census there were 73 Barretts living in Depwade. Again I am guessing based on my interpretation of your original message, but if you have your grandfather’s marriage certificate, you have presumably identified his father’s name as Robert from that document. There is another family in Depwade where Robert is the name of the father / head of the house hold and that one is referenced RG12 Piece 1545 Folio 64 Page 2.

I apologise in advance if I have misinterpreted your original query.

sucherro

Default FREDERICK

hi I did notice that Frederick was noted as son in one of the census. 1891 it states he is 15 and has a surname of Serrechia. So yes prob illegitimate.... I also checked out the two apparent different parents and believe that Isaac Scrancher and Elizabeth Feek to be my distant relatives as their daughter Mary Ann did indeed marry John Barrett, my GG grandfather.

thanks for all the info thus far.

sucherro

Hello thank you for your input, as you can see a newbie at this.

I have since reading your post been to national archives and found his Naval record, which states he was actually born Ashwell Thorpe 29/7/ 1892.John David Gooch Barrett. Mother Laura father John.
    Thank you for your help I shall endeavour to continue my search.

sucherro

hi thanks but I had the wrong family .Grand f John David Gooch Barrett. born Ashwell Thorpe Norfolk 29/7/1892, his father John, his mother Laura, found this on his naval records national archive.