Name well known on Brit-Gen

Default REME - Airbourne 1951 -1953 Suez - Egypt

Sgt JOE FORTUNE

I need help instead of helping others.....

Totally unannounced we had a caller some days ago who thought that we may be related to an ex paratrooper who he served with in 1951-1953 in Egypt / Suez.

The gentleman was 81+ it was difficult to understand some of what he was telling us but he did have a lot of Army photos with him of the time!

I have asked for unit / service no etc either he doesn't recall this bit or doesn't understand my reason for asking!.....the gentleman himself is a Mancunian having retired in 2008 after running a well known successful garage & storage facility at Manchester Airport probably one of the first . The retirement news item carried this statement .....after serving in Egypt as a paratrooper.

He is desperate to find Sergeant Joe FORTUNE with whom he served

I have done the usual internet searches and cannot find anything connected with this name....in this part of Cheshire, it is not a common name and is found in abundance in Edinburgh / Bradford & Cornwall!

Thank you

Has someone put a query on Forces Reunited?
    I'm pretty sure that there's a Paratrooper association, not easy to search for them without my pc.....

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Thank you Lesley, I think I have exhausted all the sites that may be connected to REME / Airbourne / Paratroopers.

He is not computer literate, he has grandsons who if I give him internet addresses will help him look....seems this may be the only way forward for him.

I will of course include FWR! I have looked on the site and am pretty certain he is there but I am not feeling that generous at the present and it isn't my research!

Jean

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

https://web.archive.org/web/201311100.../Canal/Reg.htm

Britains-smallwars list a REME unit in the Suez Canal Zone 1951 to 1954, its 16 Para workshop REME and a living history group are researching this unit, it could be a starting point for you.

https://www.paradata.org.uk/units/16-para-workshops-reme

Keith