Default SAMPSON AKA SAMSON JACOBS abt 1819-1895

This new thread is an attempt to seek data on Sampson aka Samson Jacobs b abt 1819 London and died in Australia 1895. Sampson is recorded on the Jacobstree website data base as possibly being the son of Moses Jacobs 1792-1856 and Sarah Levi 1793-1856. I have posted on an earlier thread a range of information relating to Moses Levy. Moses appears on Cemetery Scribes records ID 3228 with data on his children and Sarah.
    The Jacobstree website has the following children for Moses and Sarah- Samuel abt 1817/26-1885- he died in Hokitika NZ in 1885; David 1819-1869; Hannah 1823/26-1870; Henry 1833-1911; Lawrence 1834-1871 -he died in Melbourne. There is no dob for Sampson on the website but The Bowral Free Press and Berrima District Intelligence Saturday 3 August 1895 recorded.. Mr Samson Jacobs died at his residence Bendooley Street on Thursday morning... passed away peacefully at the ripe age of 76. He was born in London and arrived in the colony about 30 years ago. He leaves a widow and a family of young children.
    I will post further data on Samson's marriage and his children.
    The Australia Death Index recorded Samson Jacobs 1895 Bowral NSW
    The Australia Marriage Index recorded- Sampson Jacobs- Martha Pyne Jessop 27 May 1876.
    On one of the records ( I will re-check and confirm) reference is made to the parents of Sampson aka Samson as Moses and Sarah.

There is evidence that Sampson, Samuel and Lawrence were all in NZ at the same time:
    The West Coast Times 24 July 1866 referred to the trial of Sampson, Samuel, Lawrence Jacobs proprietors of The Jockey Club Billiards Saloon Hokitika on remand accused of stealing a gold pin from Mary O'Malley. All three accused were discharged.
    The West Coast Times 29 July 1875 reported the death at his residence 233 Eastern Road Emerald Hill Melbourne, Lawrence Jacobs, the beloved brother of Mr S Jacobs of this town, aged 38. It is possible that Mr S Jacobs maybe Samson but this requires confirmation.

There was a much earlier reference in The Star ( Ballarat)Monday 5 December 1859 to Sampson Jacobs suffering a fractured kneepad due to a kick from a horse and this maybe Sampson aka Samson Jacobs son of Moses and Sarah but would require confirmation.

This new thread is a follow up to private correspondence between myself and a descendant of Sampson Jacobs in an attempt to confirm his parents and roots. Any data from Jacobs cousins and other relatives which would help to confirm the identity of Sampson aka Samson Jacobs would be very welcome.
    Phillip

In # 1 of this thread I referred to an Australian Index Record which contained reference to the parents names for Samson aka Sampson Jacobs- the record was for the Death in 1895 of Samson aka Sampson- his parents were given as Moses and Sarah Jacobs.
    The Australia Birth Index Records indicate the following children for Samson Jacobs and Martha:
    Sampson Clarence Harley 12 March 1878 Queensland- Sampson Jacobs; Martha Tyne Jessop; Edith Bessie 1880 Sydney NSW; William F 1881 Yass NSW; Annie 1882 Sydney NSW; Rachel S 1883 Berrima NSW; Ethel M 1885 Berrima NSW; Florence L 1887 Berrima NSW; Alice M 1888 Berrima NSW; Lillian M 1889 Berrima NSW

There are numbers of Ancestry.Com Family trees which contain further data on the children and later marriages.
    Death- March 23 1942 at her daughters residence ( Mrs F G Sheather) 14 Waverley Street Belmore, Martha Pyne relict of the late Sampson Jacobs late of Bowral aged 86. The Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 24 March, 1942.
    Phillip

This post provides data to confirm that Samson aka Sampson Jacobs was the son of Moses Jacobs and Sarah Levi. The data comes from the Marriage and Death Certificate of Samson Jacobs sent to me by one of his Australian descendants and a distant cousin of mine.The Marriage Certificate- Queensland 27 May 1876 Brisbane- St John's Church Church of England
    Samson Jacobs widower b London Middlesex England Profession Dealer age 42 Residence Sydney NSW Parents Moses Jacobs Glass Dealer; Sarah Levi
    Martha Tyne JESSOP spinster b London Middlesex England 21 Residence Brisbane- Parents William Frederick Jessop Cashier; Martha Tyne
    Married according to the Rites of the Church of England

Death Certificate NSW 1 August 1895 Bendooley Street Bowral
    Samson Jacobs Dealer 76 -Cause of Death Cerebral haemorrhage 9 weeks - Father Moses Jacobs Lawyer Mother Sarah Levi
    Informant Martha Jacobs widow of deceased Bowral Church of England Burial
    Residence in Australia - 10 Years Victoria, 30 years NSW
    Children from 1st Marriage- Rebecca Jane Jacobs age 26 living
    Children from 2nd marriage- Clarence Harley 17; Edith Catherine 15; William Frederick 14; Annie 13; Ethel May 10; Florence Leah 8; Alice Maud 7; Lillian Minnie 6; 1 Female dead

The important data regarding Samson being the son of Moses Jacobs and Sarah Levi ( Moses Jacobs is the son of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses) relates to the trade of Moses as a glass dealer and later as a lawyer. In previous posts regarding Moses Jacobs I had identified that he had adopted the occupation of a law clerk and solicitor ( both spurious titles since he was never an articled law clerk and when challenged by a judge in a trial could give no proof of any legal training or qualifications).

If any researcher can identify Rebecca Jane Jacobs b circa 1869 daughter of Samson Jacobs and unknown ( we assume that Rebecca was born in Australia ) we would be very grateful. Similarly, if anyone can identify Samson's arrival in Australia we would also appreciate it.

Phillip

MerranLee

Hi Phillip, Thank you for the testimonial on my Great Grandfather after verification of the documents that I forwarded to you. I am still not convinced though that he was in New Zealand in 1866 unless he went straight to New Zealand after leaving the UK which I estimated at about 1855-8. The offences that occurred at the Jockey Club and Billiards Saloon in Hokitika NZ in 1866 leave a lot of time unanswered. I will continue to dig and see what I can find.
    Kind Regards, Bronwyn.

Hi Bronwyn
    I know that you have been in contact with our Jacobs cousin Dave. My thinking is that Sampson aka Samson is one of the 3 brothers referred to in the Jockey Club trial. The names of 3 brothers with the same names that match what we know of them plus the additional records we found regarding deaths suggests more than coincidence.
    We have no concrete evidence regarding Samson aka Sampson in NZ other than the newspaper accounts but we also don't know about his first marriage and where he was living. We also don't know if he used an alias.

I am sticking by my belief that all 3 brothers are the sons of Moses/Sarah.

Best wishes
    Phillip

Hi Bronwyn
    If you read the West Coast Times 17 July 1866 regarding the Magistrates Court Trial of Sampson, Samuel and Lawrence the report states in the theft of the pin and Lawrence Jacobs.."It belonged to his brother Sampsom.." So you have confirmation that a Lawrence Jacobs had a brother called Sampson plus there is the other Samuel Jacobs. Unless there are three different Jacobs all having the names Sampson, Lawrence and Samuel and two of whom are identified as brothers then I believe that the case for all 3 being brothers and sons of Moses/Sarah appears very strong.
    Phillip