Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cockney-Sparra

Default RE: Lois Bird (nee Hill) Gloucestershire

Hi all,
    Not been on here for a while but still can't break down my Brickwall regarding my 3x Maternal Gt. Grandmother - Lois Bird (nee Hill)...

She was born, Lois Hill in 1791 at Cam, Gloucestershire. Parents: George Hill and Elizabeth 'Betty' (nee Millard).
    She married John Bird on 8th Oct 1821 and they had my 2x Gt Grandmother Elizabeth in 1822.
    Their last child (George) was born in 1828.
    I found my 3X Gt Grandfather John Bird in the 1841 Census in Dursley but he's living with a lady named May.
    Two of his and Lois's younger children (Lois (14) & George (12)) are living with them.
    I can't find anything on my Lois after the birth of George in 1828. Nothing in the census records or re-marriage or Death.
    I found lots of info on her siblings but Lois disappears off the face of the Earth arrrrrghhh..
    Any help would be most welcome, as I don't know where else to look...

P.S.
    It would appear that Lois gave birth to a daughter out of wedlock at age 17.
    I found a baptism for a Charlotte Hill (illegitimate) bap 1808 in Cam - Mother Lois Hill. (I don't know if her father was John Bird though).
    I found much info on Charlotte through her life - marriage, children etc but nothing on Lois...

If she died between 1828-1837, she won't have a death cert, they didn't exist then. Depending on how well off they were, you might have some luck with gravestones, or burial records in the Parish Registers. Is May a second wife? If so, look for the marriage, it could help pinpoint Lois' death.
    In the 19th century, one of the most common causes of death for women was childbirth/post childbirth infections, and men who suddenly found themselves with small children to care for frequently remarried very quickly.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Removed as I had wrong surname

Reputation beyond repute

Have you actually worked your way through the Dursley parish registers? You live in London - the Society of Genealogists library has copies of the Dursley registers (microfilm and printed transcriptions).

Cockney-Sparra

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    If she died between 1828-1837, she won't have a death cert, they didn't exist then. Depending on how well off they were, you might have some luck with gravestones, or burial records in the Parish Registers. Is May a second wife? If so, look for the marriage, it could help pinpoint Lois' death.
    In the 19th century, one of the most common causes of death for women was childbirth/post childbirth infections, and men who suddenly found themselves with small children to care for frequently remarried very quickly.
    Hi Lesley,
    It's the 1841 Census and doesn't state the relationship between them. I have looked again and notice that the name may be Mary, not May. Other Mary's names on the page look like 'May', so it could just be bad handwriting.
    I've checked for marriages but nothing comes back. John did however, have a sister named Mary who was born in 1800, the same age as the lady in the 1841 Census. I'm thinking she may have been his sister, not wife/Mistress?...Maybe as aunty, she was living with them, helping with the children. Only thing is, in the Census she's listed as not being born in the Parish but John's sister Mary was born in Wotton-Under-Edge which is in the Parish of Dursley.
    I'm searching the Gloucestershire parish records for a death for Lois but nothing as yet.
    I don't know how their finances were but John was a Tallow Chandler and did own his house (he passed it to his eldest son - John) John Jnr owned an industrial company and his line did seem to aquire wealth (his son left over £18,000 in his will) a small fortune in those days.
    Both John & Lois were literate, they signed their marriage certs personally and the witnesses (Lois's brother & sister) also signed their own names.
    It's so frustrating. I find loads on their siblings down the line but my direct ancestors (on both sides) always seem to be elusive.
    Thank you for your help...

janbooth

The Gloucestershire Will of Lois's father George HILL of Cam dated 27 March 1843 and proved on 10 January 1846 is available on Ancestry. In it he refers to his children and grandchildren amongst whom are his "granddaughter Charlotte BULLOCK, and the other four children of my late daughter Daughter Lois BIRD, Elizabeth, John, Lois and George BIRD....". So Lois presumably died sometime between 1828 and 1843.

Janet

Cockney-Sparra

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    The Gloucestershire Will of Lois's father George HILL of Cam dated 27 March 1843 and proved on 10 January 1846 is available on Ancestry. In it he refers to his children and grandchildren amongst whom are his "granddaughter Charlotte BULLOCK, and the other four children of my late daughter Daughter Lois BIRD, Elizabeth, John, Lois and George BIRD....". So Lois presumably died sometime between 1828 and 1843.

Janet
    Thank You, Jan...Found it and downloaded it today.
    I Searched for Wills for Lois's siblings but forgot her dad haha...Still no luck with a burial for Lois though :-(

Is there a will for a John Bird, former tallow chandler of Wotton Under Edge who died 1st July 1847? Might help trace a possible 2nd marriage to May/Mary? (FMP has transcribed '41 Census entry as Mary, not May)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Cockney-Sparra

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Is there a will for a John Bird, former tallow chandler of Wotton Under Edge who died 1st July 1847? Might help trace a possible 2nd marriage to May/Mary? (FMP has transcribed '41 Census entry as Mary, not May)
    Hi Helachau,
    I have a burial for John Bird of Dursley Feb 23rd 1845, age 55, which is the right age and place but it doesn't give occupation etc.
    So have I got the wrong death date for him?...Where did you find John Bird , Tallow Chandler, 1847? That's probably my John, isn't it?
    So many had the same names in those days. I haven't found a Will for him. The only info as to him leaving his house to his son was from a Removal Order in 1867, Bethnal Green, East London. My 2x Gt Grandmother Elizabeth was removed from the borough back to Wotton-Under-Edge, from what I can make out. In it, she mentions her brother John Bird now of Hirwain, Glamorgan owning her late fathers house that she grew up in.

janbooth

I think Helechau obtained the information from the Cheltenham Chronicle dated 15 July 1847 wherein it stated that on 1 July 1847 at Wotton under Edge Mr John BIRD formerly Tallow Chandler of that town died. However, looking through the Burial Registers of Wotton, there is no appropriate burial for him there nor can I find a burial for him on Gloucestershire Burials, 1813 onwards, on Ancestry's new Gloucestershire Burials - perhaps he was buried with wife Lois whom we also cannot find!!

Janet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast