ChuckM

Default Cottage Location

My second great grandfather, George E.R. Pearce (together with his wife, Eva), is shown in the 1911 census as living at Tower Cottages, Hornsea, Yorkshire. I have not been able to identify the location of the Tower Cottages in my research. Does anyone know this area? There are several 'towers' that the name could be referring to, including a folly tower that was built between 1829 and 1853 by a Hull brewer names William Bettison, one of several windmill towers, or the tower of the church of St. Nicholas.

Thank you in advance.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Having checked the entries on each side of Tower Cottages, I would hazard a guess that they were some along "Newbegin" in Hornsea.

From looking at a well known on line map site (Search "Newbegin, Hornsea, Yorkshire") and you will see that it is a road.

On one side of them is "Tower House", and on the other is "Grove Place".

Hopefully this will help you narrow it down a little more.

If Tower House was in any way grand, the cottages could be the tied housing for staff...

gasser

There is a picture here on Flickr of Tower House.....https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradfo...n/photostream/
    courtesy of Hornsea Civic Society

And this shows cottages in front of church tower?? https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradfo...57632927984153

ChuckM

Thank you all. On the census, the cottage is listed as having 5 rooms. While it does not specify what these rooms were used for, I assume that they include a kitchen, bedroom, parlor/living room and, perhaps, a small dining room.

gasser

I think it would be what they call a two up two down with a loft room. More likely to be a parlour and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms upstairs and a further room in the loft. Separate dining rooms were less likely for the 'working class'

Name well known on Brit-Gen

#5 Explanation on the 1911 census

Write below the Number of Rooms in this Dwelling (House, Tenement, or Apartment). Count the kitchen as a room but do not count scullery, landing, lobby, closet, bathroom; nor warehouse, office, shop.

Have you tried looking at 19th century maps? There's quite a few around - for a start, the National Library of Scotland has its collection online, and it includes quite a few maps of England.

gasser

If I were you ChuckM, I would contact Hornsea Civic Society, as referred to in my earlier post. #4 and see if they can shed any light on the matter.