Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

There are 4 births registered in England and Wales for a George Alfred Holden born within 5 years of 1902. They are:

1897 :July Quarter:Greenwich, London, England :VOL 1D PAGE 116
    1897 :Sept quarter:West Derby, Lancashire, England :Vol 8b Page 500
    1901 :Apr quarter:Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, England :Vol 6B page 405
    1905 :Sept quarter:Medway, Kent, England :Vol 2A page 754

Any or none of them might be right, but as a “flyer” I would go for the one in 1901, on the basis of the location (Midlands) and nothing else.

There was a George A in the 1911 census living with his parents, Joseph and Amanda, and siblings in Nuneaton (same place as where your grandfather died). All the family were from Derbyshire and “George A” was born 1902 in Rosliston, Derbyshire. Joseph was a coal miner. With this information I searched the civil registration index for “George A Holden” born 1902 in Derbyshire (+/- 5 years), and 5 entries come up including the 1901 entry above. Having done a quick map check, Rosliston is just south of Burton on Trent.

You can’t take any of this as conclusive, but it is a good indicator.

Do you have your father’s birth certificate? The reason for asking is because that would give you your grandmother’s name, and with that it should be possible to find your grandparent’s marriage, and with the certificate for that you would then know your grandfather’s father’s name.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

The Medal Roll for the India General Service Medal shows a Sergeant G Holden 2nd Battalion HLI (Service Number 3300458). The sheet was signed off at Peshawar on 1st November 1936.
    There is an Ian George Holden born in 1937 at Peshawar, Mother's Maiden Name Johnstone. A George Holden married a Miss Lavinia Johnstone in Bombay 1935; the Groom was 32 and the Bride 22. A Miss L Johnston (sic) of 4 Hayfield Road, Liverpool sailed to Bombay on SS City of London, departed UK 26/2/1927. She was a 24 year old nurse. Ring any bells?
    Peter
    Last edited by peter nicholl; 25-02-2015 at 6:29 PM. Reason: Regiment added.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

wow Peter that is my family!!!! Thank you so much. I never know that my Grandmother was a Nurse! So she was in India at the same time as he was. Maybe she was military also? This is totally amazing. I cannot thank you enough.

1901/02 would fit in with my grandfather DOB. My father seemed to think his family were from the midlands originally......so this would fit also. I have just ordered my fathers birth cert, and his mother was Lavinia Johnstone. Both you and Peter have been totally amazing. I have learned so much tonight. I cannot thank you both enough. I just wish I would have started this journey while my father was alive to learn about his mum and dad. Once again, thank you so much

Brick wall demolition expert!

You should be able to apply for your grandparents marriage certificate from the “GRO Index Army Marriages (1881 to 1955)” using the references 1935, Bombay, Page 160, Line 101.

The index gives your grandmother’s age as 22 (i.e. born about 1912). The best fits on birth that I can find are:

1908 Auckland, Durham Lavinia Johnston
    1909 Prestwich, Lancashire Lavinia Johnston
    1914 South Shield, Durham Lavina Johnston
    1915 in West Derby, Lancashire (Liverpool), Lavinia M Johnston

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Lavinia appears to re marry

Name: Lavinia Holden
    Spouse Surname: Hadland, Richard A
    Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1953
    Registration district: Nuneaton
    Inferred County: Warwickshire
    Volume Number: 9c
    Page Number: 2249

Certificates from gro.gov.uk cost £9.25

I think she remarried twice after my grandfather died. He died in 1953, she died approx 1988. The are buried together. I attended her funeral with My Dad, and I think the headstone says Lavinia Holden Nee Pettit. I am definitely going to research my Grandfathers side of the family further. Thank you

You may need to get some certificates. Going on names there is Lavinia Holden married Hadland in Sept Quarter 1953, Nuneaton. Lavinia Hadland married Gunn Mar Quarter 1962 Daventry. Lavinia Gunn married Pettit Jun Quarter 1969 Thrapston. Lavinia Pettit born "30 May 1913" died Jul 1989 age 76, Northampton.
    These are just guesses, but you could try FreeBMD to see if her husbands died in the years which would fit.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl

Hadland is right for sure as she had my Uncle Phillip during that marriage. Pettit is the name on her headstone, but I have never heard Gunn. She did die in Northampton and was buried in Nuneaton. This is excellent information for me to follow up. Thank you so much. I guess my next step would be to order birth, death and marriage certs now that I have certain information.

A bit more digging shows they were Richard A Hadland (but can't find a death before the Gunn marriage), did they divorce? Walter N Gunn b 1902 d Jun 1966 Brixworth Northants. James W Pettit b 1916 d Sep 1984 Kettering Northants. As Pettit is known it might be best to start with the marriage certificate to find out Lavinia's name prior to marriage and her father's name. Then work backwards, just a thought.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast