Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ridleydonald

Thank you Megan. I rather suspected that not all were Christened. Your answer I'm sure drawn from experience was clear and concise. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for; obviously hoping for some blinding ray of light and my problem solved. Ha,ha.
    Anyway I thank you,
    Don

ridleydonald

Thanks Genieus. I appreciate your help but I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase. You'r findings are correct in all detail.

But as short as I can. I have never found the birth/parents of my grandfather[the Alfred , Senior) so when Francis ( my father ) was born in 35 Dame Street Islington the Electoral Records showed another family of Ridley's living there. It was a reasonable conclusion that both family's were related so I was thinking perhaps my father, Francis's, Christening might reveal a reveal a link in some way. But seems not.
    So again I thank you for your interest....most grateful.
    From a freezing (wind chill -35 ) Canada, have a good night
    Don

Reputation beyond repute

I have never found the birth/parents of my grandfather[the Alfred , Senior)
    So this is actually the question you want an answer to, is it?

I notice that when Alfred Ridley married Louisa Smallman, he named his father as William Ridley, gentleman. I assume you've already taken that at face value and found that it hasn't got you anywhere.

Many family historians who have seen something of the ways of our forefathers would see this as flagging a possible illegitimacy.

Have you tried tracking Alfred back in the census? On several census returns, someone who looks as if he should be your Alfred was living with a Henry Ridley, watchmaker, and Mary. Alfred was described as 'son' but was Henry really his biological father? Little Henry had been baptised the son of Henry the watchmaker so why not Alfred?

There is however a baptism of an Alfred Ridley in 1835, the 'base born' son of Alice from the Workhouse. Note also the name of Alfred and Louisa's first daughter. Date might be a bit early but even so I wonder... Needs more digging.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Couldn't get in the garden as a bit cold & snowy so done my spade work here!

Alice from the Workhouse. Note also the name of Alfred and Louisa's first daughter.
    Alfred & Louisa's 2 daughters were probably given SMALLMAN family names as Louisa seemed close to her step sister Rebecca MILES who can be found living with the couple

HO107; Piece: 1516; Folio: 504; Page: 38

16 Bakers Row Clerkenwell

~*SMALLMAN John 35 Shrewsbury
    ~SMALLMAN Alice 38
    SMALLMAN John 10
    SMALLMAN Louisa 4
    SMALLMAN Richard 2
    SMALLMAN William 5
    MILES Alice 12
    MILES Rebecka Miles 9
    Mrs Petty 38

~ Widower / widow on marriage

Interesting as John SMALLMAN is desc as a porter his full name is Cresswell John SMALLMAN

1861 census has Cresswell as a Copper tinner

On Louisa's marriage she desc her father as a 'Gentleman' yet it appears he couldn't write, he signed with X

This begs the question how reliable is the information on a certificate....as relaible as the informant and how the writer of the entries hears it!

I certainly wouldn't dismiss Henry RIDLEY watchmaker & wife mary wiith Alfred & Henry on the 1841 census...it needs looking at !

Reputation beyond repute

Message #13 was a hypothesis to be disproved.

If it was my family, I'd be drawing up a big family tree of all the Ridley family (or families) that Alfred was or might have been in contact with.

ridleydonald

Hi again Genieus and Peter. Over time I have accumulated information (badly organised) on several Ridley families from late 1700's on. Unfortunately they haven't thrown up an Alfred I can claim. As you say Genieus the records or reporting then had some prevarications so I chose to follow the consistences. Alfred reported 3 of 5 Census being born Stepney. and YOB 1837. He married twice and on both certs said father William. So that's what I've looked for.
    A possible therefore was the 1851 Census a scholar at a private school in Stepney born 1837. Anotheron the 1861 Census an Alfred (watch finisher) wrong YOB and Place of Birth (a ditto'd) Clerkenwell........bit off, but Louisa Smallman lived Clerkenwell. Could that be my Alfred who met his wife to be there? How do you prove these. It looks so easy on the television programmes.
    I will admit the Henry family is tempting but that Alfred born 1839 and Whitechapel...close I know.
    The Alice /workhouse I hadn't seen but took the Alice of their daughter from Louisa's mother.
    I think I'll return to tracking why my father was born at Dame St Islington when Alfred and Louisa didn't live there.....was it because of the other family of Ridley's there? Family? Coincidence?
    Anyway that's my story which I felt I owe you as you are searching without my findings. It was good of you and didn't want to waste your time (even if it does keep you out of the garden, ha,ah.)
    I have gained some info though. The Alice /workhouse to follow and Megans explanation of the non Christenings.
    So I thank you once again .....and if you come across any wayward Ridley's...........
    Can't go in my garden....2/3 feet of snow covering....lucky me
    Don

whistler

Be aware that a lot of Witness's at Weddings were not Family related but merely local People who either enjoyed being at Weddings or else received renumeration for being a Witness. On searching Parish Registers you will often find the same Witness's at every wedding on the same day or week.

ridleydonald

Thank you Whistler, good point.

Regards
    Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12