spikeisl14

Cool British army stationed in Cork

I am trying to gather information on British army personnel that were stationed on Spike Island in Cork harbour between 1900-1937. I have looked at the Irish census of 1901 and 1911 but that only gives names of the soldiers that were stationed there at that time, no rank and no information of where they came from in England.
    Regards
    Spikeisl14

thewideeyedowl

Default They might have been Irish...

Hi there and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

Men from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales served in the British Army. At the time of the 1901 and 1911 censuses, Ireland was part of Britain, so it is wrong to assume that the men stationed at Cork were necessarily from England.

All I can suggest is that you take a list of the names of the soldiers in those censuses and then check each out at The National Archives (TNA), using their online search engine 'Discovery'. If any records for any of the men have survived and have been digitised, they would probably be available to view on a subscription site (Ancestry or Find My Past). Some of the men, particularly in the 1911 census, may have served during WW1 and so you may be able to find their Medal Index Card, again through Discovery. The MIC would give the man's regiment, but probably not his birthplace. The cards can be viewed on Ancestry (often available free at a public library) or downloaded from TNA for a small fee.

Sorry I cannot offer more help on this - I sincerely hope that someone with a good knowledge of military stuff will come along soon and give you further pointers. Fingers crossed, eh..

Swooping off.

Owl

Reputation beyond repute

British army personnel that were stationed on Spike Island in Cork harbour between 1900-1937
    I'm pretty sure that so far as 1922 onwards is concerned, the answer is zero. Hope this helps.

spikeisl14

Dear Owl

Many thanks for the message you have given me. I will get cracking on the information to-morrow and hopefully I will start putting this jig-saw together.

Many thanks

Spikeisl14

spikeisl14

Hi there

The British did not leave Spike island until 1938 as it was one of the "Treaty Forts", as part of Ireland getting it's independence the British were allowed to stay in these forts until 1938.

Regards
    Spikeisl14