Thread: can anyone help

millis1

Default can anyone help

on a birth certificate of a relative, private number 3139214 royal scots fusiliers, it doesn't match the name on this certificate for the father maybe a robert. does anyone recognize this. thanks

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

All I can say is that the service number fits in the number allocation for the RSF - Royal Scots Fusiliers 3122001 - 3178000, and it is a post WW1 number.
    regards

Robert

Millis1, perhaps it would be easier to help if you explained a little bit more?
    What is the name on the certificate, what is the name that belongs to that number, and why do you think that they're the same person?
    Please remember, however, that you can't post details about potentially living people.

millis1

it on a birth certificate of my husbands half uncle , on his uncle birth certificate has a Robert millis, he has inquired with the mod and they say it dosnt match for what I don't know, my husbands grandfather is Alfred Charles millis b.1903. which should be on his uncles as well as his next sibling 1 year later in 1947 has Alfred as her father. but on his it says in occupation private no 3129214 royal scots fusiliers, of 47 Addison gardens Surbiton u.d

You don't make it easy to help you. Try and keep things simple.

Do I understand correctly - Alfred is given as father to your husband and his sister, but for his half brother, the father is given as Robert? The most obvious question to ask is why he's a half brother - different father or different mother? Is the sister also a half sibling? Is your husband's father older or younger than the half brother?

Because I don't know which of these people are alive. I can't give any details here but you can easily search them on freeBMD.org.uk. Start with a marriage for Alfred C Millis in 1942. Alfred's wife Elizabeth had a very distinctive surname, so it's easy to search for their 5 children who were born 1946-1951, and alternating boy/girl/boy/girl/boy with the first initials D, C, N, K, M.

Looking at the birthdates of these people, some (all?) of them must still be alive, so the easiest option is surely to just ask them? It's always possible that there's a clerical error somewhere.

millis1

I try again, Alfred Charles millis is my husbands grandfather. Alfred Charles millis was married twice. his son D 1946 has on his birth certificate and different name for father as C 1947 under the same address, on C her father Alfred is a general labourer. unfortunately the first marriage the mother died and all were put into care, the second marriage D also was put into care and adopted at a young age. so its possible a clerical error, I could understand some but with a army number and regiment and Robert for the first name. this was a somewhat of a error lol

millis1

thanks, may be, because it dosnt match the name on birth certificate or the Alfred Charles millis, when it was inquired with the mod. its a mystery, and this site was a long shot

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

OK, let's start again.

Alfred Charles Millis, was born either 1903 according to the GRO Index in Kingston registration district https://www.
    ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/kingston.html
    or 1901 according to his death registration in 1972 (Kingston upon Thames registration district).

It would seem that he first married in 1925 (Kingston registration district) to Annie E Hammond.
    They had four children, born between 1926 and 1932, all born Kingston registration district.

Alfred then married Elizabeth in 1942, in Surrey N E registration district (formerly Kingston and Richmond registration districts, so all the same area).

The birth certificate of D, born 1946, says the father's name is Robert Millis. Any other forenames, or just plain Robert?
    The next question is what sort of certificate is it? Is it an original one issued in 1946, or does it say 'certified copy, given at the General Register Office' with 'Warning a certificate is not evidence of identity' printed across the bottom?

I'm just wondering if there was an error in the copy sent to the GRO from the local Register Office. Might be worth enquiring at the local office. If you don't live locally, you could phone them first to ask if they would be willing to check an entry if you sent them a photocopy of the one you have.

Alternatively, who registered the birth? A cousin's mother had an affair during the war and had a child who died a short time after birth, but my cousin's grandfather went to great pains on the birth certificate to spell out that it was his son's child. Is this a reverse case, whereby the mother is giving the broadest hint possible that it's not Alfred's child? And perhaps, possibly, the reason was D was put into care and adopted? (Or am I just being too fanciful?)

Has all this come about because you requested the service records of Robert from the MoD, only for them to say 'nobody of that name and number'?

Pam

millis1

was a copy not original done in 2001 by D 1946, I have requested another last night from gro, signature, description and residence of informant is the mother. but under Robert millis nothing else and military number and regiment doesn't match is a mystery, even Alfred millis doesn't fit with the mod and yes they said that and wouldn't help. might be worth checking when the new certificate comes if same, I try the one it was registered at. thanks for that, didn't think about checking with them. thank you tina