Thread: Godfrey Gaston

chrissyg

Default Godfrey Gaston

Hi
    Just recently been given a photograph of my granda, who was pictured in his army uniform. I have no information on him at all, all I have to go on is his name Godfrey Gaston, lived in Belfast. Any help on were to go from here?

You could start by giving us a time frame to play with. Since you could be 17 or 70, we don't even know if you're talking about WW1 or WW2 (or something else).

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

chrissyg

Thank you for replying
    My father died 27 years ago and his father Godfrey died when he was a young boy so we know nothing about Godfrey, it would have been WW1. Im now 40 years old the photograph looks just like my brother and I am curious to find out anything I can about him

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You will need to give us a bit more info like

year Godfrey died & place

giving your late father's year & place of birth will help

chrissyg

My father was Called Robert Gaston born 10/10/1934 died 16th March 1987 place of birth Belfast Northern Ireland, He was also in the army but this was not talked about so have no details might have been Royal Irish Reg, have no idea about Godfrey just was told he died when my father was a young boy I'm sure he also would have died in Belfast

There are 3 births of a Godfrey Gaston
    Godfrey Gaston 1893 Belfast
    Godfrey Gaston 1912 Belfast
    Godfrey Gaston 1920 Belfast

So it looks as if your grandfather was the one born 1893 as the other two are too late to serve in WW1
    Here is the one born 1893 with his parents and siblings in 1901 and with his mother and siblings in 1911 which fits with your father's father having died when he was young.

1901 Ireland census
    Lawnbrook Avenue Woodvale Antrim
    Robert Gaston 35 Mechanic born Belfast
    Annie Gaston 33
    Sarah K Gaston 7
    Matthew Gaston 2
    Robert J Gaston 11
    Godfrey Gaston 4

Ireland census 1911
    Mayo Street Woodvale Antrim
    Annie Gaston 40 Head born Cork
    Robert John Gaston 22
    Sarah Kathleen Gaston 18
    Godfrey Gaston 15
    Matthew Gaston 12
    David Gaston 9
    Leslie Gaston 4

Religion - Presbyterian All children born Belfast

Just re-read this and the ages don't fit the 1893 birth for Godfrey. I haven't read the original image so whether it is a mistransciption?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

And I thought you worked well in the 3 minutes from the info being posted....more haste less speed!!! or som'at like that!!!!

Jx

Quote Originally Posted by chrissyg View Post
    My father was Called Robert Gaston born 10/10/1934 died 16th March 1987 place of birth Belfast Northern Ireland, He was also in the army but this was not talked about so have no details might have been Royal Irish Reg, have no idea about Godfrey just was told he died when my father was a young boy I'm sure he also would have died in Belfast
    Your father's WW11 service records can be purchased from the MoD. This 'sticky' explains where and how to apply.

I have been searching for ages for a G Gaston in the WW1 records and there are some but are any first name other than Godfrey. I tried surname only, Godfrey only, Ga*st*n etc but I can't see anything at all either on ancestry or Findmypast. FMP doesn'teven have the births of the three I gave previously.

Christina

Hi genius
    I am still inclined to think this is the correct bloke especially as he called his son, chrissyg's father Robert. Just don't know who got the birth date wrong!
    William Burroughs

Hi genius
    I am still inclined to think this is the correct bloke especially as he called his son, chrissyg's father Robert. Just don't know who got the birth date wrong!
    Well done

See pm to you! I was aghast at the speed you replied....I'll have to learn how to 'wing it' and probably get it right

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Well done

See pm to you! I was aghast at the speed you replied....I'll have to learn how to 'wing it' and probably get it right
    I wasn't that quick! I used chrissyg's post #3 and luckily for me the three births were the only ones that came up in any time frame in UK and Ireland.

Not being able to find a service record has wiped the smile off my face though.

Christina
    William Burroughs