Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Maria B

Question can anyone identify this medal ribbon please

hi my father in law has a medal ribbon I can not identify.He died in 1976 and it was when my mother in law died that we found his ribbon bar.

I tried up loading my drawing but its not working so from left to right the colours are:-
    thin-violet, blue,yellow, very thin red,yellow,blue,thin violet,thin white,wide orange,thin white, thin violet,blue,yellow,very thin red,yellow,blue, thin violet.
    I say violet as that is the closest colour I can think off to describe it.

He was royal signals, I know he served in Burma, but at the moment not much more.
    Can anyone help, I have searched the internet without finding it .

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Maria B

I think you have come to us from FWR so reading This may be helpful.

I have searched the internet using the words 'uk service ribbons' and got quite a few hits but Ican't see a ribbon with the colour combinations you give. Doesn't mean it isn't there though.

To upload an image from a file on your hard drive click on 'reply to thread' then on the square to the right of the blue globe - it says 'insert an image' when you hover the mouse over it. Up comes a 'select file' and 'browse' box. Click on 'Browse' find the picture in your files then click on 'upload' Hopefully it will then show in the reply box and be saved when you click on Post Quick Reply or Submit Reply in the advanced reply option.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

is it like this ?

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

if so its a US Military, WW2 Victory Medal ribbon.Probably a souvenir

Maria B

Thank you for your reply, it is very close but it is not the same. The centre is a lot lighter,The centre panel is the same colour as the centre of the defence medal ribbon. The yellow is wider a solid block with a single thread of red running down the middle . I will try to scan the bar

I looked at your picture and my first thought was that this is four different ribbons attached to each other. The left end one looks like the Burma Star. Second from the end the Defence medal ribbon. Take a look at This site for the others. Of course I could be way off beam but someone will set me right if I am.

Added the second from the right possibly the War medal ribbon

Christina
    William Burroughs

Maria B

Christine yes it is 4 ribbons on this ribbon bar. it is the one on the right I am unable to identify.

Hi Maria
    I should have read your first post properly!

Like you I am having a great deal of trouble finding something that looks like the RH end ribbon but I will keep looking. Then again someone else may turn up with the answer.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

I think is the medal as shown above, just that the ribbon has faded rather badly, if you were to line them up the bands certainly seem the same.
    Being in Burma (1st is the Burma Star) maybe he had some interaction with the yanks to get it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_W...(United_States) or it was given to him unofficially? DO you have his service record, it should be documented in it?
    It is not in this lot- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...United_Kingdom
    Foreign medals always go at the end.
    regards

Robert

Maria B

I am awaiting a copy of his death certificate so we can contact the mod to request his services record and medal history. hopefully then I will get an answer to the question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast