Starting to feel at home

Default Baptism - duplication?

I have Charles Rogers baptised May 11, 1845 Oswestry (entry 2282) and then repeated across the page (entry 2290) on March 20th ie a later entry with an earlier date. All details are exactly the same for both entries. A clerical error? - a very odd one if it is, or is there another explanation?

Any thoughts anyone?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Looks to me like a clerical error, if you look at the other entries that one is out of sequence.
    A possible explanation is the May 11th entry could have been a private baptism with the later entry being the infant was received into the church. This could have been compounded by the cleric attempting to add the date of the first baptism instead of the current date.
    However there is nothing to support this supposition therefore the entries should be accepted at face value.
    Have you tried searching for the Bishop's Transcripts for the parish at this period, do they throw any light on the situation?
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Guy
    The idea of a private baptism is new to me - would I be right in thinking it implies status and/or money? Something else to learn about so thanks. As to Bishops Transcripts these too I've little knowledge of but understand they are accessible through LDS Family centres so will enquire further.
    Cheers

Knowledgeable and helpful

Private baptisms often meant the child was so weak that it wasn't expected to survive, and so baptism was done shortly after birth, sometimes by a midwife, in case a cleric didn't get there in time. The child was not usually taken to church until it was strong enough to survive which is when it was received into the church. Consider the month in which Charles was baptised the first time. It might have been dreadful weather, so they did the safest thing for the child. pwholt