Eskimojohn

Smile WW2 Service records

HI all, I Need help in finding the service record of my father, he was on HMS Eskimo F75/G75. I know he was on the convoys, Lofotan islands raids, and sicily. I have tried FWR but cant see his records. I only have the information I have put above, no service number. Any help would be appreciated.
    John

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello John,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

As you have arrived here via FWR, please have a read of this.

Service records for after 1921 (so inclusive of WW2) are still held by the MoD. See here for details of how to apply and stuff to send (the forms themselves, a death certificate, and thirty quid). If you apply, expect a wait of several months for a reply.

However, I presume that as you mention HMS Eskimo you are talking Royal Navy, in which case you will get limited information as prior to 1972 Royal Naval personnel were given their service records on discharge. Scroll down to the Royal Navy section in this guide.

Pam

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I also meant to say in my previous message, that if you knew the exact ships ships he served on, you might be able to peruse the logs of those ships at The National Archives at Kew to find further details about the particular convoys.
    You may have already googled for at least background information to the Lofoten Islands raids and Sicily.

Pam

Eskimojohn

Hello Pam
    Thank you for the information I have downloaded the application form and will send it to then asap.
    With regard to the Lofotan Islands raids im trying to trace a medal thet he always went on about above all others, from his description I believe it may be mentioned in despatches
    from other research and threads. But it baffles people when its described as having a blue ribbon?????
    Again thanks for the information
    John

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi John

Have you searched the London Gazette, if it was a mention it should be entered in there - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices

regards

Robert