stu1973

Smile need help finding my grandfathers war records

hi, i am looking for help finding my grandfathers ww2 records so his medals that have been lost over the years can be replaced. i have used certain sites put in information such as name, middle name and surname and where he was born and served in the royal navy but getting no results for him,can anyone please help? i do not know his service record number,sorry. i am unemployed so on a budget.
    Last edited by christanel; 24-01-2015 at 8:31 PM. Reason: telephone number removed

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums stu1973

If you came to us from the FWR site then reading This will help.

Unfortunately to obtain WW11 personal service records money has to be spent. They are still held by the MoD and not available online. This 'sticky' explains how to go about ordering them at a cost of 30 pounds.

I just found this web site which looks very interesting and may help with general information. https://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

You do not say, but I am guessing that you are talking about World War 2 service?

If so then you will have to apply to the MoD for the records as they have not released them, and there is a charge.

See this message for more details.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...757#post585757

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

There's a slight problem with Royal Navy service records, which is that prior to 1972 Royal Naval personnel were given their service records on discharge.

Scroll down to the the Royal Navy section in this guide for a few more details.

Knowing the ships he served on, you might be able to peruse the logs of those ships at The National Archives at Kew to find out where your grandfather went in the war.

Pam

stu1973

thank you :-)

stu1973

thank you :-)

stu1973

thank you