ernestfrancis

Question Merchant Navy Records

I am trying to find information re Merchant Navy - Thomas Albert Victor Procter born 1915 and served on HMS Ionic - does this site have this info.

A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

Have a look at the National Archives site they give you a good guide on researching these men. AS the Ionic was sailing under the White Star/Cunard Flag their web page might give you some help.

Good Luck

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is a record with a photo on FMP site .........this is a pay site

Hello and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

You arrived here from FWR so This will explain who we are and what we do.

As Geoff has said for the records you need the National Archives is the place to start. TNA site can be a tad confusing so here is a link https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...nafter1917.htm
    It seems Merchant seamen records are scattered. I did do a quick search and putting in the full name didn't give any results so I then used the surname only. The results given had first name initials only but a quick look didn't turn up Thomas. Of course I could have been looking in the wrong date range.

If you want to ask more questions or extend your interest to the more general genealogy field do come back and see us.

Christina

ps Thanks sandiep for the reference to FMP.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thomas Albert Victor Procter born 1895 Camberwell. Served in the Merchant Navy as a Quartermaster. He has a medal file for WW1 held at the National Archives, Kew in piece BT 351/1/115165. This file can be downloaded for £3.30.

His CR10 card is available on FMP which includes an id photo of him. If you need anymore info about Merchant Navy records please feel free to ask.

Regards
    Hugh