Thread: Stuck

Red face Stuck

Good afternoon everyone hope I didn't wake you lot.

However being new to this family research I have came to a point where I need to ask for a bit of help.

My question is this.

Whilst growing my tree, albeit not very fast may I add, I have came to a relation who was married and had 2 x daughters.

I have the daughters names, DOB and where they were born.

However after this point they seem to disappear. The name is common so when I search for marriages in their names the return is 100+. There is also no marriage in the place born in their name. They were both born between 1947 and 1952.

Is there any other way that I am missing that can identify where they went to ?

Thanks in advance

Brick wall demolition expert!

You could ask other relatives if they remember anything - even first names of husbands might help you reduce the number of possibilities.

Another way might be if either or their parents has died, or even their grandparents, and there are newspaper reports of those funerals they might be listed there.

Hi and thanks for the reply. I was wondering if there was some secret way of doing it or something I was missing.

Reputation beyond repute

It's no secret. You're trying to do genealogy by index and it doesn't work.

Get the birth certificate of at least one of the children and get the full names of the parents and any previous surnames. Don't forget that the name a woman married under is not necessarily the maiden name shown in the index.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I presume you have tried freebmd.org.uk and the countybmd sites, worth a look at 192.com via the electoral roll!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwillhunting View Post
    Good afternoon everyone hope I didn't wake you lot.

However being new to this family research I have came to a point where I need to ask for a bit of help.

My question is this.

Whilst growing my tree, albeit not very fast may I add, I have came to a relation who was married and had 2 x daughters.

I have the daughters names, DOB and where they were born.

However after this point they seem to disappear. The name is common so when I search for marriages in their names the return is 100+. There is also no marriage in the place born in their name. They were both born between 1947 and 1952.

Is there any other way that I am missing that can identify where they went to ?

Thanks in advance
    Do you have any other information about the family?

If not you could start with the following.
    Chase the parents, use the Electoral Registers to see where they were living from their 2nd daughter's birthday for the next 25 or 30 years.

If the parents lived in the same district during that time there is a good possibility one or both daughters married in that district.
    If the parents changed district look for marriages in the new district.

Additionally check the Electoral Registers to see if they were registered from 1970 onwards.

Check local newspapers to see
    A: If there were any exam results printed showing the girls names.
    B: Any wedding announcements.

Check any available school records for the district you know they lived in.
    Check death records in case they died.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Hey guys and girls some good information there and thankyou very much. My other question which I forgot to ask was parents with the same surname when married. For instance Walker and Walker in Stockton. I know the parents got married in 1953. If I search on births with the surnames Find my past throws up about 15 possibles. Is there any other way to narrow these down ?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Unfortunately not one that I can think of except that you could go to the registers office and see if they will check through for you based on the parents names.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If your talking about the same family in your opening post, the year of birth of the daughters may have changed!

Try looking for the daughters, I presume you have their first name cross referencing with the mothers maiden name, then you may know the marriage of the parents!

As regards later dates, I am in the same age bracket as the daughters, just checked my marriage and it isn't on line yet! Neither is my birth, these 2 events occurred qoo miles apart so transcription hasn't caught up with me!!!!