glennis.rose

Default RAF - 55 SQUADRON

Hello everyone,

my auntie and myself are looking for information on my uncle who passed away over 30 years ago (not in combat). He fought in WW2 and earned a DFC medal, flew lancaster bombers, took part in the bombing of monte cassino and the liberation of bergen-belsen concentration camp and spent a lot of time fighting in north africa (these are all what he told my aunt).

We know he was definitely in RAF 55 squadron and was also later in the Yorks and Lancs regiment and we have the dates of service on his army book. We also have a collection of photographs he took while at war.

Despite knowing pockets of what we already know, we would like to find out more about where my Uncle went and what he did. Could you please help me in pointing me in the right direction of any info I could get. And also, if the chances of me finding lots of information are good or not?

Thanks, Andrew

Hello Andrew and welcome to British-Genealogy

Service records for WW11 are still held by the MoD but you can apply for them. This 'sticky' explains how and where and what paperwork you will need.
    As well as the 30pound payment you will need patience as so many are applying for records at the moment.

When you have his records and know just which units he was in you can search The National Archives site which may have the war diaries. Here

If you came to our forums from FWR reading This will tell you all about Brit-Gen and our genealogy obsession.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

TomBen

Hi Andrew as far as I am aware, No. 55 Squadron RAF served in the Mediterranean for the duration of the war at first patrolling the Suez Canal and Gulf of Suez before Italy declared war.

They then moved to striking targets in the North African Deserts and helped to destroy the Italian airbase at El Adem.

They supported the advance of the Eighth Army through Africa, Siciliy and Italy before transferring to Greece towards the end of the war.

They were first equipped with Bristol Blenheims before being re-equipped with Baltimores then Bostons for the invasion of Siciliy and Italy and finally Mosquitoes.

55 Squadron were never equipped with Lancasters so one would assume your uncle transferred squadrons at some point if he definitely served on a Lancaster. This information should be in his full service record available from the MoD as Christanel has explained.

Kind Regards,

Tom