Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wilkes_ml

I've also checked these parishes of Colchester:

Colchester All saints D/P 200/1/19 (images 219-220)
    COLCHESTER, Holy Trinity D/P 323/1/8 (images 188-190)
    GREENSTEAD-JUXTA-COLCHESTER, ST. ANDREW D/P 399/1/7 (image 166)
    COLCHESTER, St Botolph D/P 203/1/23 (images 10-23)
    COLCHESTER, ST. GILES D/P 324/1/22 (images 236-243)
    COLCHESTER, St James D/P 138/1/19 (images 140-141)
    COLCHESTER, ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST D/P 525/1/2 (images 73-76)
    BERECHURCH, St Margaret with St Michael D/P 199/1/7 (image 32)
    COLCHESTER, ST. MARTIN D/P 325/1/13 (image 242)
    COLCHESTER, ST. MARTIN D/P 325/1/14 (images 3-4)
    COLCHESTER, Christ Church with St Mary-at-the-Walls D/P 246/1/19 (images 64-68)
    COLCHESTER, ST.MARY MAGDALEN D/P 381/1/15 (image 174)
    MILE END, COLCHESTER, ST MICHAEL D/P 410/1/10 (images 159-160)
    COLCHESTER, St Nicholas D/P 176/1/9 (images 148-150)
    COLCHESTER, ST. PAUL D/P 551/1/3 (images 61-63)
    COLCHESTER, St Peter D/P 178/1/65 (images 167-171)

and not found the marriage. There is the posibility it was either at the register office, or a parish outside Colchester but within the Colchester Registration district, so will look at those tomorrow.

Wilkes_ml

Going by UKBMD list of parishes for Cochester Registration district here I could not see any other parishes outside of Colchester, that I hadn't already looked at. So I would suspect a register office marriage, and the only way to know for sure would be to order the marriage certificate via the local register office or GRO ( noting that the Local register Office does not use the GRO reference number) . The advantage of using the Local Register Office is that you are more likely to get a scanned/photocopy of the original entry with original signatures, wheras the GRO will be a transcription of the original.

I appreciate your sleuthing for me! I am just going to have to do what you all say and order marriage certificates, birth certificates etc.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    Going by UKBMD list of parishes for Cochester Registration district here I could not see any other parishes outside of Colchester, that I hadn't already looked at. So I would suspect a register office marriage, and the only way to know for sure would be to order the marriage certificate via the local register office or GRO ( noting that the Local register Office does not use the GRO reference number) . The advantage of using the Local Register Office is that you are more likely to get a scanned/photocopy of the original entry with original signatures, wheras the GRO will be a transcription of the original.
    The only problem with using the local office is that, because of how the system is arranged, they usually need to know where the marriage took place. https://www.
    dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/bmdcerts.htm

However, the local office may be willing to check if the marriage took place in the Register Office, if Tracy sent them an email saying that the (listed above - she will have to type them out) churches had been checked.
    [email protected]
    Though reading their website, you have to send an application form if you want to order a certificate (though you can pay by plastic).
    https://www.essex.gov.uk/Births%20Cer...tificates.aspx

Tracy - if you do email the local office, explain that you live in Canada so would very much appreciate it if they could check for you, and also say that you believe the marriage would have taken place in Colchester itself rather than one of the other parishes in the registration district because David (born 1879) lived in St Leonards parish Colchester from the 1881 to 1901 census.

Um, just spotted this. (Post #8)
    Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Still looking for the immigration records for Alice and two children
    I did find the birth record for Frederick David Thomas DeHaney born 23 April 1912 father David T a florist mother's name Alice May Victoria Dehaney nee Ward married Colchester 25 December 1900.
    Christina
    I can find the birth of Frederick (Familysearch, Ontario births 1869-1912) but can't find the extra details such as florist and the marriage date, so I'm not sure if Christina made a typo or if the record she found does say 1900, when it should say 1901.
    However, you could mention that the marriage date might be 25 December if you ask the local office, Tracy. Even if they only check the Register Office book it would be a help.

Pam

janbooth

Tracey,

A Family Tree on Ancestry shows the marriage of David Thomas DEHANEY & Alice May Victoria WARD to have taken place on 25 December 1901 at the Baptist Chapel, Eld Lane, Colchester, England? Perhaps this venue is only a supposition as there is a question mark at the end, but I cannot find the Chapel on the list of churches that Michelle has checked, so perhaps it is a possibility.

Janet

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Tracey,

A Family Tree on Ancestry shows the marriage of David Thomas DEHANEY & Alice May Victoria WARD to have taken place on 25 December 1901 at the Baptist Chapel, Eld Lane, Colchester, England? Perhaps this venue is only a supposition as there is a question mark at the end, but I cannot find the Chapel on the list of churches that Michelle has checked, so perhaps it is a possibility.

Janet
    In that case Tracy, if you do write to the local register office, ask if they could check the Baptist Chapel first, and if no success, then the Register Office.

Janet - another excellent find.

Pam

Wilkes_ml

having checked SEAX again, Eld Lane Baptist Chapel is listed, but only baptisms 1775-1837, burials 1816-1813 available at The national Archives and Burials 1836-1837 original ( I assume held by the Essex record Office) . No marriage register listed, and none availabale to view online.

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I did find the birth record for Frederick David Thomas DeHaney born 23 April 1912 father David T a florist mother's name Alice May Victoria Dehaney nee Ward married Colchester 25 December 1900.

Christina
    The year of the marriage was recorded wrong on the birth certificate (unless it was a typo) as FREEBMD has the marriage in December quarter 1901 and checking the original GRO page via the link on FREEBMD, I can confirm that it definately listed in December quarter 1901.

neilelliott21

Hi Tracy,
    I have been researching the Dehaney tree for ten years now is this is my wife's family.
    I am in contact with many of your cousins in the UK, Canada and the USA.
    Please email me at neilelliott21AThotmailDTcom so I can send you photos and documents that I have collected.
    Thank you
    Neil
    Last edited by christanel; 24-03-2015 at 6:47 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123