Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    janbooth

As you say you are a beginner to research, I am assuming that a Family Tree for Alice on Ancestry is not yours. This shows her mother to be a Matilda WARD and that she was born on 17 March 1880 at Lexden, Fordham, Essex, the source being shown as the 1911 Canadian census (but as you will see further down the Canadian census only shows the birthplace to be England).

This Alice WARD is in the 1881 census of West Bergholt, Essex (RG11/1799, folio 39, page 27) living with grandparents James & Mary Ann WARD and their daughters Matilda, aged 19 (her presumed mother given the Family Tree on Ancestry) and Emily. Alice is shown as the granddaughter of James & Mary Ann, aged 1, born West Bergholt.

The 1891 census of Colchester (RG12/1410, folio 75, page 10) shows this Alice living with her stepfather & mother Samuel & Matilda FOLKARD at 6 Slyth Square together with their 3 children.

1911 census of Prince Edward, Ontario, shows the following:

David DEHANEY Head Mar Oct 1879 31 English Methodist Labourer
    Alice do Wife Mar Mar 1880 30 do do
    Ivy do Daur S Oct 1903 7 do do
    Minnie do Daur S Feb 1906 or 7 4 do do

which does appear to tie in with the Alice WARD, daughter of Matilda, shown in the 1881/1891 census records above. Alice WARD daughter of Matilda is shown as Alice FOLKARD in the 1901 census of Colchester living at 8 Burlington Road.

Whether the information on the Family Tree is correct, I do not know, but if you can Access Ancestry you could try contacting the owner of the Tree to see what research they have done. It does say on the tree that they have done a mitochondrial DNA test.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 30-01-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Extra text

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    I have been reading this thread with interest and am in awe of all the essential information on how to search Pam has given.
    Christina
    Thank you, Christina.

Meanwhile you've found stuff that I haven't, and Jan is really going great guns with her finds, so thanks are due to both of you.

Pam

Thank you so much Christina. You and Pam have been so very helpful!
    Everything you have found for me and the directions of where to go for more have been so helpful!

Tracy

thank you for your hard work on this Janet!
    I appreciate your insight and directions and what you have already uncovered!

janbooth

Glad to be of help Tracy, and Pam's posts give you a great insight into how much information can be found on the web and where to look for it. Poor Alice May and what a great survival story. To further back up the Family Tree on Ancestry, there is a birth registration for an Alice WARD in the June qtr 1880 at Lexden reg district (contains the parish of West Bergholt). Still looking for any emigration records!

Janet

janbooth

Tracy,

This could be a bit speculative but as David Thomas DEHANEY emigrated on board the Dominion sailing from Liverpool in September 1906, these 2 people on Passenger Lists leaving the UK could be relevant. I am guessing that some parts of this particular Passenger List for the ship Dominion may be damaged as there are no surnames shown:

Alice ? aged 25, wife on board the ship Dominion leaving Liverpool for Quebec
    Ivy ? shown as an infant born 1906 on board the same ship

However no mention of Minnie - could this be because she was a babe in arms?

Janet

This could fit very well. I'm going to ask my mom and see if she can confirm Minnie's age in comparison with Ivy.
    Grateful for your sleuthing for me!

Quote Originally Posted by TRobinson1 View Post
    This could fit very well. I'm going to ask my mom and see if she can confirm Minnie's age in comparison with Ivy.
    Grateful for your sleuthing for me!
    The births registrations for Ivy Alice 1903 and Minnie Vera born 1906 are on FreeBMD

So the partial immigration record for an Alice ? and Ivy ? that Janet found looks good

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

neilelliott21

Hi Tracy,
    I have been researching this family (Dehaney) for many years.
    Please contact me at neilelliott21 AT hotmail DOT com so I can forward you some documents.
    Thank you
    Neil
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 15-02-2015 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post

Conclusion: you need to get the marriage certificate of David and Alice to see what clues it might give us about her father.
    You might find it in the Colchester PRs, which would save you a few quid. Try St Leonard's parish first, as that where David was living a few months before they married.

Pam
    I'm coming into this thread a bit late, but thought I'd have a quick look in the parish registers of Colchester, just in case no one else has looked ( I may of overlooked it if someone has already looked for the marriage in the parish registers)

So far I have checked Dec quarter (plus months of August & September, as I wasn't sure if marriages are returned to the GRO straight away, or if there can be up to 6 weeks as with births)

Both the parishes of Colchester St. Leonards Ref: D/P 245/1/24 (images 16-18)
    and Colchester St. Leonards Lexden Ref: D/P 273/1/15 (images 44-45) do not have the marriage, so I'l check the other parishes of Colchester later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast