Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rochoy

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Settlers of South Africa www.southafricansettlers.com

WRK is amongst those listed - 2nd wife Mary Jane Hardwick, but no marriage details recorded. The sources consulted appear on the home page which states "This collection is the result of many years of research".

Are you familiar with this site?
    Yes , thank you, I have just been sent a copy of Mary Jane Brooks's marriage to William Robert Kemm. She was a Widow. Looking now for other surnames, for M J Hardwick, as suggested, for a marriage to William Brooks.

Sonia

OK, tried a bit of lateral thinking here, possibly with some results ...

Why were some of the children given the name Bickerton?
    3 out of 4: odd to give them the same middle name, almost suggests a surname of Bickerton Brooks ...

So tried searching for a BICKERTON / HARDWICK marriage.
    Interestingly a William Bickerton MAY have married a Jane Hardwick in Leeds in 1877.
    Seems to fit with the three younger children being Bickerton Brooks, and the older one possibly from a previous marriage where William was going by surname Brooks alone, as he also did later on.

Marriages Dec 1877
    Bickerton William Leeds 9b 811
    Hardwick Jane Leeds 9b 811
    Noble Henry Leeds 9b 811
    WOOD Emily Leeds 9b 811

Bit peculiar, but worth checking out.
    I wouldn't be surprised to find that the eldest child had a different mother ...
    Last edited by Sonia; 23-01-2015 at 3:50 AM. Reason: typos

Sonia

... Thought I was on to something there, and it was a nice idea while it lasted ...

Marriages Dec 1877
    Bickerton William Leeds 9b 811
    Hardwick Jane Leeds 9b 811
    Noble Henry Leeds 9b 811
    WOOD Emily Leeds 9b 811

Unfortunately from 1881 census records for Leeds, I think Willian Bickerton married Emily, and Henry Noble married Jane Hardwick ... Drat!

But still,
    - double check
    - check out children's birth registrations, anyway
    - try to find out why Bickerton? A grandparent's maiden name?

Sonia

Possibly Mary Jane on the 1861 census, if father's name was William John or John William?
    This one is with same parents in Portbury in 1851 and 1871 censuses as well.
    Only one other Jane Hardwick crops up in Somerset, but neither parent's name is correct: Robert and (Elizabeth I think, not noted).

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
    William Hardwick Head Married Male 47 1814 Farmer 25 Acres 1 Labourer Portbury, Somerset, England
    Mary Hardwick Wife Married Female 49 1812 Farmers Wife St George, Somerset, England
    John Hardwick Son Unmarried Male 19 1842 Farmers Son Portbury, Somerset, England
    William Hardwick Son Unmarried Male 17 1844 Farmers Son Portbury, Somerset, England
    Mary Jane Hardwick Daughter - Female 11 1850 - Portbury, Somerset, England
    Emily Hardwick Daughter - Female 4 1857 - Portbury, Somerset, England
    House name Vicarage
    Parish Portbury
    County Somerset
    Country England
    Registration district Bedminster
    Enumeration district 6 B
    Piece number 1711
    Folio number 86
    Page number 6

Sonia

Hmmm, probable marriage of the Portbury couple. No sign of a John in his name. Where did you get that infomration from?
    I don't think you have the certificate for her second marriage in S. Africa, as you weren't sure of date?

Marriages Mar 1841
    Hardwick William Bedminster 11 77
    STOKES Mary Bedminster 11 77

Sonia

Back to William Brooks and Jane imn Marylebone

Oldest child probably registered as Bickerton ...?
    Births Dec 1875
    Bickerton John William Marylebone 1a 556

So does look as though Willian was Bickerton alias Brooks, or Bickerton Brooks, or Brooks Bickerton ....

Rochoy

Oldest child probably registered as Bickerton ...?
    Births Dec 1875
    Bickerton John William Marylebone 1a 556

So does look as though Willian was Bickerton alias Brooks, or Bickerton Brooks, or Brooks Bickerton .

I didn't think to put Bickerton first, I must really thank you for your help, Mary J Brooks, widow, married on 24 June 1890 St Saviours Church, Cape Town, by licence, a month after arriving at the Cape, to William Robert Kemm.

I found a Death Mar 1887, BROOKS WILLIAM 46 yrs Marylebone vol 1a page 465, I am sure this is the husband/father. Would it mention on a death certificate who he was married to and when?

On MJ Hardwick's Death Notice, her 3rd husband wrote that her parents name's were John and Mary, however, this could be how they where known to the family. I've also been looking at William and Mary of Portbury, as in the census 1881 she is estimated to be born abt 1851, I do believe, they weren't always correct with their ages back then.

The name Bickerton is definately a family name, but I also haven't found a link yet, or out of the box, maybe they, William and Mary, met and married in Bickerton.

Rochoy

Sorry, could I please ask which site did you use to find BICKERTON JOHN WILLIAM BROOKS , FreeBMD and Genes Reunited turns up "No Results",

OK

I found it, the surname is Bickerton, not Brooks, Somehow Bickerton is a Surname maybe she was married to a Bickerton, who died, I must explore this, see if I can find a Bickerton death 1874 -1877. Thanks

Rochoy

A John Bickerton married Mar 1874 Marylebone vol 1a page 793, this could be the father of John William Bickerton.

I wonder if maybe, the sponsors or godparents were not "Bickerton", and so the name was used as a Christian name. One would only be able to find this out by looking at the Church Records. Are there any Church records available for us to use? If so I think they would help. What if Mary and William were married in Church, but the marriage was never registered. Did that ever Happen?

Rochoy

Hi All,
    As recommended I ordered a Birth Certificate for GEORGE WILLIAM BICKERTON BROOKS. Unfortunately, I still have not received a copy, even after they said they would resend me one, this is not due to GRO. UK. I think this is due to our South African Postal Service.
    However, Good news is someone in England ordered a copy and e-mailed me a copy, However, I am still unable to find anything with this new information, any help will be appreciated.

GEORGE WILLIAM BICKERTON BROOKS was born 30th June 1880 , b1 Seymour Place , MARYLEBONE, in the Sub-district of ST. MARY in the COUNTY OF MIDDLESEX.

His father was WILLIAM BICKERTON BROOKS, his mother was MARY BROOKS formerly PUDDY

I cannot find a HARDWICK/ PUDDY/ BROOKS marriage either, Has anyone, please, got any suggestions as to how to proceed. now. Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast