Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GrahameParker

My mother is from Bilston and spent all her life there. The only relatives she had in the war were her dad......it's not him and her uncle who was killed in July 1916. I was hoping it was him but it doesn't seem likely. Her uncle is William Cox born 1897 I think. My mother told me he was a 'runner'. His body was never found like so many others.

I thought he died in July 1916! You mentioned that date earlier...now you have a date of 31/7/1917..lmk

This is a picture of my great uncle Lionel who served WW1 Royal Field Artilley you can see his conduct stripes on the right arm and signaler badge above a stripe on his right arm.

alanmack

[QUOTE=Tillergirl;605025I just wondered if anyone could identify this chaps regiment so that I can eliminate him if you know what I mean. I thought someone may have been able to recognise the cap badge or the badge on his left arm.[/QUOTE]

Both of those are a bit too unclear for identification purposes. Can you manage a rescan of both details at higher resolution perhaps?

[QUOTE=Tillergirl;605025Just a bit more info ... This is who I believe my gt uncle is.....William Cox, army number 141313 , he was in the Royal Horse and Field
    Artillery. rank driver A/70 BDe RFA. Date of death ....31/7/1917.

So it could still be him![/QUOTE]

The subject of your photo is unlikely to be an Artilleryman (no lanyard) nor a Driver (of horses, at least) as he is without the proper footwear and spurs. Both of these were sort of badges of office and few soldiers would be photographed without them.

GrahameParker

Default Hope this clarifies my great uncles regiment.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmack View Post
    Both of those are a bit too unclear for identification purposes. Can you manage a rescan of both details at higher resolution perhaps?

The subject of your photo is unlikely to be an Artilleryman (no lanyard) nor a Driver (of horses, at least) as he is without the proper footwear and spurs. Both of these were sort of badges of office and few soldiers would be photographed without them.
    Found a nice group picture with him pictured back left and lanyard present. Also, his name as entered in the Medal Roll as lance bombardier in the RFA.

LMK if you think he was with another regiment.

Tillergirl

Thanks for all your help.

I can't scan the picture as I'm using an iPad. But thanks for offering anyway.

I'll have to repost when I get a new laptop.

TomBen

Quote Originally Posted by Tillergirl View Post
    Can anyone identify the regiment or any other details on this photo please?

Many thanks
    The circular badge on his arm is a Lewis Gun proficiency badge. Stylised "L G" inside a wreath.

The two stripes underneath this are wound stripes, meaning he has been wounded twice and returned to action.

As for the Cap Badge well i'm not entirely sure, I thought at first it was Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) or Royal Army Veterinary Corps (RAVC) but they are unlikely to have a Lewis Gun proficiency badge because they don't have weapons.

Someone posted up the details of a Royal Warwickshire soldier, they have a stag as their cap badge and this looks more like a circular wreath under the King's crown...

I'll keep looking though, we've got hundreds of cap badge books in our library.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12