remallinson

Default Jane Elizabeth Young 1854-1870

Jane Elizabeth Young was born 14 August 1854, Scotland (maybe Glasgow), her parents are John Young and Jane Young (same last name). both born in Ireland
    Mother; Jane Young died 1n 1856 from complications of childbirth, her newborn son John Young Jr. also died. They died in Liverpool, Lancashire, England.
    1- I am looking for a birth registry for Jane Elizabeth Young as a source for her birth:
    2-Looking for death and burial records for mother and baby son, Jane and John Young Jr. Perhaps an obituary also.
    Jane Elizabeth Young died in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA 7 Dec 1870, her father died in Idaho, USA, stepmother and siblings died in Utah. Jane Elizabeth's half sister Rebecca is my grandmother
    Thanks for any information or advice, Ellen

Brick wall demolition expert!

For Scottish births, marriages and deaths you need to use:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

It is the Scottish Govt's site, and is the only one that has the indexes and records.

There is no death registration in Liverpool in 1856 for Jane Young.

The nearest are:
    1855 – West Derby (this covers parts of Liverpool)
    1858 – Liverpool
    1858 – West Derby x 2

If her son John died at birth, it is possible that in 1855 neither his birth or death were registered. The latter is more likely to have happened if he was not buried at the same time with his mother. In other words, there would have been a need for a death certificate to bury an infant that was not still born and being buried with its mother.

In terms of what death registrations there are:
    1855 - Liverpool
    1856 - West Derby
    1858 - Liverpool - x3

Unfortunately the death indexes at this time do not give any age or date of birth information.

You could apply for all the various certificates (each costs £9.50) from the GRO, specifying that you are only interested in those for Jane where she is the wife of John Young. Any which don’t fit that bill would be instantly refunded.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello remallinson,

Welcome to Btitish-Genealogy.

Are the dates and places you've given just 'family knowledge', or what documents do you have to support them?

Do you know when John senior re-married, and who? And when did they go to the US? (I'm hoping we might be able to find them on the 1871 English census, thereby gleaning a few more details.)

Pam

As this has turned into a research thread I have moved it to the Scottish Forum. You might like to read the various "sticky" threads on researching in Scotland at the top of this forum.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Famous for offering help & advice

Looking in 1861 in on the Find My Past index free search for a Jane Young b Scotland 1854 with a John Young b Ireland I couldn't see any in Liverpool area. The only hit was for a family in St Catherines, Wigan
    John Young b 1826, Rebecca Young b 1834 and Jane Young b Scotland 1855
    I haven't followed this family any further - may be complete red herring! So will wait for more info from Ellen.

There is a Jane Young born 2 April 1855 in Glasgow, Scotland to John Young and Jane Bryan (this does not mean that the parents weren't married, women's maiden names are normally quoted on Scottish certificates). There's another Jane Young born 17 December 1855 in Glasgow to John Young and Jane Hall.

To decide whether either of these Janes was yours (it was quite common for middle names to be added after registration), you'd have to check the birth certificates on the pay to use site Scotlands People. The good news is that because 1855 was the first year of BMD certificates in Scotland, they got carried away with the number of questions they asked - the place and date of the parents' wedding should be shown. With any luck, only one couple wll have been married in Ireland...

There is no death registration in Scotland for a newborn John Y whose mother had either of those maiden names.

gasser

Here you'll find a biography about John Young written by a descendant.....it may help, although it does not give citations, but does give mention of his marriage to Jane Young, his 1st cousin, in Paisley Scotland in 1853.

https://familysearch.org/patron/v2/T...x=ArtCtxPublic

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Looking in 1861 in on the Find My Past index free search for a Jane Young b Scotland 1854 with a John Young b Ireland I couldn't see any in Liverpool area. The only hit was for a family in St Catherines, Wigan
    John Young b 1826, Rebecca Young b 1834 and Jane Young b Scotland 1855
    I haven't followed this family any further - may be complete red herring! So will wait for more info from Ellen.
    Will have to wait til Ellen gets back, as you say, but in relation to this:

There is an 1857 (possible)marriage for a John Young and a Rebecca in Paisley, but although the family live in Wigan, the younger daughter, interestingly, was born in Liverpool

Dundee10

Wasn't it illegal to marry your deceased wife's sister, even if they were half sisters? The biography linked by gasser seems to imply that they were full sisters.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    Wasn't it illegal to marry your deceased wife's sister, even if they were half sisters? The biography linked by gasser seems to imply that they were full sisters.
    It was, that is to say, after Lyndhurst's Marriage Act of 1835, such marriages were null and void (rather than voidable, as they had been previously). However, it was an act which was widely disregarded - I have at least two in my own family and one vicar, opposed to the Act, writing in a local paper, reckoned there had been as many as 800 such marriages in recent years in Lancashire alone. Furthermore, as the same vicar pointed out, since those who entered into such marriages were not generally held in any less regard by friends, family or associates, it was virtually unenforceable.