Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frankie#88

Post Name's on a War Memeorial

Hello again!

Doe's anybody know where I can find name's on a war memorial?

I want to see if my two great uncle's name's are on any memorial's, they both died in a war. One died in 1918 and the other in 1952.

Any info welcome.

Thankyou Frankie.

Knowledgeable and helpful

A good place to start is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. Google CWGC. It's free and very easy to search.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There are various independent sites that have lists of local war memorials. I would "google" the expression and see what you find, or alternatively consult the relevant GENUKI page to see if they have any information.

Frankie#88

Thankyou Megan Robert's & Squaredancer,

I have recently searched CWGC and as squaredancer said it is very easy to navigate and I did find some info on one of my uncle's there, but unforutanly no mention of if he is on a War Memorial anywhere.
    I have also looked at the Roll of honour/War memorial's but they don't mention the town where my uncle's came from so I can't search there.
    Thankyou both again for the help.

Frankie

Brick wall demolition expert!

Why not try the archive office nearest to where he was from and see if they can suggest where he might be remembered?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Frankie, would you like to give us names (remembering to say who died when) and then we can look for further clues.

If you know when and where they were born, so much the better. Remember, the more clues you give us, the easier
    (in theory ) it is to help you.

Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful

First thing to say is what makes you think the names you are looking for will be on any war memorial.
    The process (in the UK) depended on family and/or friends submitting the names to the relevant war memorial committee.

Second if they are on a memorial (some memorials are buildings some do not contain names) they will most likely appear on a memorial where they lived, went to school or worked.

Oh and some memorials are listed at
    https://burial-inscriptions.co.uk/htt...iptions.co.uk/ scroll down to the war memorials section near the foot of the page.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Reputation beyond repute

I think you need to know where their homes were and what their regiments were before you start worrying about memorials. Then you can get on your bike and start looking at memorials in the appropriate locality and, particularly for deaths between and after the world wars, at a regimental memorial for example in the regimental chapel.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

As there is no information for us to search or offer advice on I can only suggest a Cheshire based site https://www.carlscam.com/

Frankie#88

Hello to everyone who has very kindly offered help.

Firstly Sorry about lack of info regarding my uncle's!

Their name's are -
    Lance Corporal Walter Dannatt, 12/13 Northumberland Fusilier's. Born 1895, Treeton, Rotherham, died 1918 Germany
    I have now found that he is buried in Niederzwerhen Cemetary.
    Craftsman Cedric David Dannatt, REME. Born 1930, Rotherham, died 1952 Eygpt.

I have just been in contact with the National Memorial Arboretum who have sent me detail's on Cedric, His name is on a panel at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire.

Thankyou for the advice given.

Frankie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast