Thread: Alfred Leary

Default Alfred Leary

Hello Everybody. I am new to the forum .

I am tracing my ( Born 1898)Great Uncle Alfred Leary WW1 war record . Private Rank No 40733

I already have Information on His Last regiment . He was In the Lancashire Fusiliers .( K.I.A)
    Question .

In His notes ,he was formerly In the Northumberland Fusiliers . As Private No 7294
    I have found a.
    A.W Leary . Northumberland Fusiliers . But I don't know that the Initial A "Is for Alfred" also the W ? I would like to be able to confirm ." If It Is one and the same person " .................................................

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

So you have this - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...EARY,%20ALFRED
    From SDGW - Birth Place: Bethnal Green, Middlesex , Comments: Formerly 7294, Northumberland Fusiliers. and Type of Casualty: Died of wounds . So he died of his wounds, not KIA.
    I cant see a service record, so it may have been destroyed. Without it, it is all a bit of speculation. Where did you find that record and what does it refer to?

regards

Robert

I can only find a medal card for him as 40733 Pte Alfred Leary,Lanc Fus, when he's entitled to the British and Victory medals (no middle initial). This means that he didn't reach the Front until 1916. There's no mention in the medal index of 7294 Leary of the Northumberland Fus. He could have started training with them, and transferred before leaving the UK, it happened a lot. However, I see that he was only 20 when he died in 1917, he most likely joined up when conscription for men 18-40 came in in 1916.

Where did you find his notes? Do they give a battalion for the North Fus?

Quote Originally Posted by simmo1 View Post
    Hi

So you have this - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...EARY,%20ALFRED
    From SDGW - Birth Place: Bethnal Green, Middlesex , Comments: Formerly 7294, Northumberland Fusiliers. and Type of Casualty: Died of wounds . So he died of his wounds, not KIA.
    I cant see a service record, so it may have been destroyed. Without it, it is all a bit of speculation. Where did you find that record and what does it refer to?

Hello simmo1.
    Many thanks for your Information. I found his war record on the CWCG forum . And some Info on FIND MY PAST.
    Ref to K.I.A I must have Inadvertently put that In mistake . As I am dealing with 3 Leary brothers . Alfred , James , And George who was K.I.A.
    Regards.
    Emerald8

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I can only find a medal card for him as 40733 Pte Alfred Leary,Lanc Fus, when he's entitled to the British and Victory medals (no middle initial). This means that he didn't reach the Front until 1916. There's no mention in the medal index of 7294 Leary of the Northumberland Fus. He could have started training with them, and transferred before leaving the UK, it happened a lot. However, I see that he was only 20 when he died in 1917, he most likely joined up when conscription for men 18-40 came in in 1916.

Where did you find his notes? Do they give a battalion for the North Fus?

Hello Lesley. Thank you for your Information . This has elaborated more of his army record , re: medals awarded. and also the Enlisting Into the Northumberland Fusiliers

I found his notes on the CWCG and FIND MY PAST. No battalion mentioned .
    Regards
    Tony Leary.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi Tony

Does the A W Leary have the same Northumberland Fusiliers service number - 7294, if not then he is another person. His details on the Medal Index Card on FMP will just be for 40733, his medal roll says 10th battalion and the MIC say he was entitled to a pair only. SDGW says Birth Place:Bethnal Green, Middlesex and Enlistment Place: Bethnal Green
    War diary- https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7352943

regards

Robert