Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default GOODE/GOUDE marrying into Jewish family Cambs

Does anyone by any chance have a Jewish family member who married either a Goode/Goude or Hyde in the Thorney/Whittlesey/Peterborough area of Cambridgeshire in the 17 or 1800's. I am a descendant of those names and my Dad before he died, told me that I was a descendant of a French Jewess. He knew nothing more of this but was always adamant that this was the case. I have been unable to find out any information to substantiate this and wondered if anyone out there had any knowledge.

Regards

Paul

Welcome to British-Genealogy Paul

Duplicate threads can lead to confusion and repetition of searches, which wastes members' time so I have removed your thread in the Cambridgeshire forum. I thought it best to leave this one in the Jewish forum as that is your main question. We do have a member who is very knowledgeable in this area so may have information on those names.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Paul
    This maybe a difficult piece of research for you. Interfaith marriages did occur for the period you are looking at but they were not common until much later. You might want to look at GENUKI Cambridgeshire for Church Records- original Parish Registers and surname lists plus see also The Rise of Provincial Jewry - Cecil Roth online which has a short section on Cambridgeshire with the names of Jews in the locality.
    Do you have any specific names for the family and couple you are researching?

Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks ever so much for getting back to me Phillip. The only names I have are the surnames Goode or Goude from Whittlesey and Thorney and Hyde from Peterborough. I shall have a look at those links though. That is great - I really appreciate your reply
    Kindest regards
    Paul

Paul
    I have taken a brief look at the surnames Goode and Goude in the Cambridgeshire region on Ancestry.Com Family trees. for the period you are researching. There are a lot of individuals as you can appreciate. Without first names or any additional data this is going to prove a very difficult task for you. How far can you go back with substantiated names and data that you currently have?
    If you have that data then my advice is to post what you know and then see what responses you get from other researchers.
    Phillip

My advice, as someone who grew up with "There's a Spanish Jewess in our family" , is to do your research exactly as you would do it without that information. Start with what you know and work backwards through the generations. Confirm your findings with certificates and stuff and when you get back before 1837 take your time and follow the parish registers.
    I found the source of my family story, a generation further back than legend put her, and you will find yours eventually but she might not be exactly what you think.
    Happy hunting
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Many thanks Phillip. The furthest back I have got with the Goode/Goude side is Thomas Goude b.1744 in Cambridgeshire (Whittlesey I believe) and he died in Whittlesey Workhouse in 1824. Along the same lines I have a Sarah Jackson born in Thorney 1817 and a George Hyde b.1806 in Peterborough. He called one of his sons Josiah who was born 1832 in Peterborough. I've just done a fresh search and he seems to go back to William Hyde b.1690 in Werrington, Northamptonshire. I suppose Josiah is the most Jewish name amongst them all. If you do have any data on any of those names, I would be really grateful to know.
    Kindest regards and again, many many thanks Paul

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Many thanks Ladkyis. I have subscriptions on Findmypast and Ancestry. I have been searching the Devon Parish records on my wife's side on FMP. I shall check to see if the Cambridgeshire ones are on there as well or do you know if they are somewhere else.
    I really do appreciate your help. Kindest regards Paul

Reputation beyond repute

do you know if they are somewhere else.
    Cambridgeshire Archives

https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/dow...rish_registers

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Many thanks Peter - do you know if they are online at any of the Family History sites. As I said, all of Devon's are on FindMyPast and have been really useful and being able to see the actual register gives you so much information. It also saves a long journey.

Kindest regards and many thanks

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast