WillisMarketGar

Default Albert J Willis POW Limburg

HI,

I am trying to find some information on my Grandfather Albert John Willis, who unfortunately has passed. I have some info including his service records, but they are vague at best. He never talked much about it.
    Looking for photos/ publications/ personal accounts , etc.... If anyone has any items of interest please let me know. This is what I
    know.
    Albert John Willis
    POW Stalag 12a, Limburg
    POW# 92055
    Company Quartermaster Sergeant
    Service # 6024809
    Captured at Arnhem, under M.G. John Frost. (Market Garden) - THANK YOU!

Welcome to British-Genealogy

When you say you have your grandfather's service records do you mean you have purchased them from the MoD?

I typed stalag 12a limburg in to a search engine and got lots of hits one of them being this site https://www.wartimememories.co.uk/pow/stalag12a.html which has other men's personal accounts of prisoners experiences.

Your grandfather was among the majority who chose not to talk about their experiences so it may be that you can only put together a general picture of what he endured during his period of confinement at Limburg.

The National Archives research guides Here and Here may be of help.

Others will have more suggestions I am sure.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

WillisMarketGar

Yes I purchased them from the MoD. But a fair bit has been blacked out. Thanks for your help. Cheers

Hello
    I have deleted your duplicate post in the Military-Army forum re this request because duplicate posts just send members off looking for the same things and doubling up on the same information.

How long after your grandfather had died did you get the records? As I understand it if less than 25 years since death then the information given is limited but if over 25 years more information is available.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

WillisMarketGar

Hi Christina,

thanks for your reply and helping sort out my post. Not sure why I posted it on RAF... Yes it has been over 25 years since my Grandad has passed. I just got his records 4 years ago.

WillisMarketGar

OH I think this thread should have been deleted not the Army one....