Christa

Default Hide and seek....

Really struggling to find Archibald Harold McK Osborne, born 1881 in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire. In 1891 he is with parents Henry H and Ellen, mistranscribed as Foarold. In 1891 all the children are listed as born Little Compton, Warwickshire although all were born Chipping Norton. I can find parents and siblings in 1901 and 1911 but of Archibald Harold there is no trace. I have tried variations such as Archie, Harry etc, but just draw a blank. I'm not seeing a death or an immigration for him. The family appear to move to Berkshire by 1901. Can anyone help find him please? Any hints very welcome

Thank you

Christa

Reputation beyond repute

Can you please provide some census references.

Also what is the nature of the brick wall? Isn't he an ancestor?

Christa

Default Archibald Harold

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Can you please provide some census references.

Also what is the nature of the brick wall? Isn't he an ancestor?
    Archibald isn't a direct Ancestor and very little is known about this branch of the family....

!891 census with 10 year ald Archie;
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=4

And his birth..all I have on him...would love to know what happened, he is not with any of his siblings or his parents after 1891

NAME: Archibald Harold McK Osborne
    BIRTH: Apr 1881 - Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire

Wilkes_ml

I've had a look in all my usual places and can not find him either, just by searching for him directly. Do you have details of his aunts, uncles & grandparents? Have you checked every known relative to see if he is staying with one of them? If he is staying with an Aunt under a different surname, he may have been wrongly enumerated under the wrong surname. I've come across a whole family that has been mis-transcribed under the wrong surname as the transcriber just copied the names from the other family occupying the same building, but different household.

He'd be 20 by '01, he's presumably left home. Have a look at the army in Africa and India, among other places.

Wilkes_ml

I was also going to suggest that he could be away in the army or navy or a mariner, as I'm not sure these people were enumerated in 1901. He may have died overseas, though I could only see one Archibald Osborne armed forces death and that was 1916. I'm not sure if soldiers were enumerateded in the 1911 census either.