Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish Help...

jacksojd

Default Irish Help...

Hi - most of my ancestors come from and always lived within England. However, one ancestor I believe may have lived and married for a little while in Ireland. Now I have access to a Britain subscription to FindMyPast, but will cost me another £90 to view records from Ireland - can anyone help me locate the following info for my GG Grandad...
    Thomas Henry Jackson (B:1844 in Chelsfield) married Ellen Hinxman (B:1846) . According to 1911 census they were married 39 years, so circa 1872. According to the 1881 census (back in England, plumstead), their 1st born daughter Alice F Jackson B:1877 was born in Ireland, so am guessing Thomas and Ellen were also married in Ireland as I can't find the marriage in England. Or I simply can't find them. Can anyone help who has access to Irish records would be much appreciated?????
    Also I can't find Thomas in the 1871 Census so this may also confirm He was in Ireland - so also did Ireland have a Census in 1871?
    Thanks James Jackson jimjacksonisathotmaildotcom

jacksojd

I originally posted this question in the wrong place (now closed)... Wilkes_ml had suggested checking for Marriage in British Army Overseas marriages as many children were born to soldiers in Ireland, I have just checked this on FindMyPast with no success.

Knowledgeable and helpful

With the exception of some fragments, all Irish censuses prior to 1901 have been lost. So there’s no 1871 Irish census to search.

You say that Ellen was married to Thomas Henry Jackson born Chelsfield. However the 1881 census records a James Jackson born Chelsfield, plus Ellen b West Dene, Wilts, and Alice F aged 11 born Dublin (ie born 1870). So is this quite the same family? Some details seem right but the husband’s forename is not. And Alice’s year of birth is not quite as you have given it.

There’s an Alice Agatha Jackson born Dublin South 1869 Vol 7, page 731. That’s the nearest birth I can find in Irish civil records. I do also see an Alice F Jackson born 1869 who died in Carlow Jan- Mar 1955. You would need to order the certificates from GRO Roscommon to find the full details.

The 1861 census records Ellen’s surname as Hensman.

You will obviously have to consider the various discrepancies. However I think the marriage you are probably looking for was Thomas Jackson to Ellen Hinsman, registered in Fermoy, 1877 Volume 19, page 309.

You can order a photocopy of the certificate from GRO Roscommon for €4. https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply...tificates.aspx

You have to download and print off the form. Then either post or fax it back to them. You can’t e-mail it to them. However if you want them to e-mail the cert to back to you, they will do that, so tick the relevant box.

Put the reference details on the form (anywhere). Don’t worry about leaving some boxes blank. As long as GRO have the location, name(s), year, quarter (where there is one), volume and page number they should find it.
    ELWYN

Starting to feel at home

hi i ve just looked on fmp and there is no record of their marriage in ireland ,also the irish censors were all burnt only 1901 and 1911 are intact ,sorry

jacksojd

Question

Elwyn and cathiee– thanks for the info on past Irish census – not good…
    Elwyn – Thanks so much for this… I’m 100% confident the 1881 census that refers to Thomas as James is the correct family as most of the other info is too correct to be otherwise, I think just the forename has been mis-scribed. The age of Alice F says 4 not 11, if you zoom right in to the handwriting you’ll see it says 4, it’s the way the number 4 has been written, just look at all the other number 4s on the page - so Alice F Jackson was born in circa 1877 (The 1891 census confirms this as she is down as being aged 14 then). Would be fantastic to find the birth details for her.
    I have found a marriage of Alice F Jackson (father down as Thomas Henry Jackson) to John Henry Parkinson in 1898 in Stoke – but not 100% sure on this one, so the old age problem of finding any females death record is dependent on finding the correct marriage info.
    Indeed all of the research I’ve done so far to any of the Hinxman family has been riddled with mis-spellings so Ellen Hinxman down as Hensman is of no surprise. My searches are always formulated to variations of H*m*n.
    Thanks for the finding of the marriage between Thomas Jackson & Ellen Hinsman registered in Fermoy, 1877, Volume 19, page 309. Can you please confirm the spellings of the names and the details as I’m reasonably confident this is indeed them so will be ordering the Certificate once you double check and confirm the details for me.
    James Jackson (jacksojd)

The spellings are as in my earlier message. Having a single “correct” spelling wasn’t a concept that troubled most people in Ireland in the 1800s, especially when much of the population was barely literate, and so spellings vary all the time, usually according to the whim of the person recording the information. I expect Ellen Hinsman is your Ellen Hinxman or Hensman.

Your post of 13th Nov suggests the family had military connections. The Fermoy area had lots of soldiers stationed in it in the 1800s and so is a likely place for a marriage for a military marriage.
    ELWYN

What was Henry Jacksons occupation? I ask as around that time farmers from England were recruited as "caretakers" for farms in Ireland from which their tenants had been evicted. This was due to the fact that no locals could be found to work the farms from which their fellow Irishmen had been evicted. Generally this took place between 1879-1882 but may have taken place earlier. Caretakers were recruited by letter sent to various English parishes

jacksojd

Just need proof... , Hi hope you can help me further. Since I posted this question I have managed to finalise some things, but am missing one thing. Am trying to find the birth of Alice Frances Jackson, 1877, in Ireland. I have seen specific details of her birth as '7 Jan 1877 in Hendrick Street, Dublin, Ireland' in others family trees, but I need to see the proof myself / get a copy. Here's what I know: Alice Frances Jackson Born 1877 in Ireland (Father was Thomas Henry Jackson 3rd Oct 1844-20 Jan 1929) (Mother was Ellen Hinxman 1846-21 Feb 1933), She Married John Edward Swainson on 14 May 1899. She is the ONLY person in my Family Tree that was born outside of the UK, so I don't have access to Irelands records... Would really appreciate it if someone would be able to supply me with a screenshot of this info, Thanks James jimjacksonis at hot mail do t com

Irish genealogy
    https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
    has a few Alice Jacksons including an Alice Frances (though she was baptised later in 1897) may be worth a look and you can order certificates online.

Found her.
    bap.11 May 1877
    Alice Frances Jackson
    15 Hendrick St, Dublin
    F. Thomas Jackson
    M. Ellen Jackson
    born 7 Jan 1877
    She was baptised at Arbour Hill Barracks
    which suggests a military posting for her father

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast