Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    sleuthjan

Default Sarah PEARSON, born Knaresborough

I am writing in hopes that someone may know who my 2nd great-grandmother's parents were. Sarah, m.s. PEARSON, was born sometime between 1808 and 1815 (the year of birth indicated by census records located) in Knaresborough, Yorkshire, England. I know that she married the Rev. Tresham Dames Gregg (once the Archbishop of Dublin) on Dec. 21, 1832, Bilton with Harrogate, Knaresborough, at the Christ Church. One of the witnesses to the wedding was Frances Pearson and another appears to have been "Sam'l. Pertpel." I have conflicting info as to who Sarah's father was and know nothing about her mother but her father was most likely either Samuel Pearson or William Pearson and married Sarah's mother in 1808. (I have two different family sources for the name and don't know which to trust ;-))

It is possible she had a middle name starting with the letter "E" but I am not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I wonder, too, if her parents are buried somewhere in the Knaresborough area so once I learn who they were, I can pursue my research. Any help greatly appreciated!

Hi
    On the 1861 census RG 9 Piece 23 Folio 15 Page 30 It is Sophia Gregg born 1815 Knaresborough, not Sarah, and Tresham is born Dublin Ireland.

Is her name Sophia or Sarah? They have a dau Sarah.

Christina

Added for reference
    Tresham D Gregg 60
    Sophia Gregg 46
    Tresham D Gregg 19 born Dublin
    Sarah J Gregg 17 Dublin
    Ernest G Gregg 15 Dublin
    Henry D Gregg 13 Dublin
    Maud M E Gregg 12 Notting Hill London
    Adeline Gregg 6 Dublin
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

Doing a Google search for Tresham Dames GREGG brought up an image of his gravestone at Wandsworth Cemetery on the website Billion Graves. This gives the following information:

"Sarah GREGG died May 1st 1902, aged 86 years, widow of Tresham Dames GREGG, DD, of Dublin (interred in Dublin) who entered into his rest Octbr 28th 1881, aged 81 years, also of Sarah Jane, daughter of the above, who passed away at Southfields Febry 13th 1928, aged 84"

Therefore Sarah PEARSON was born c1816 which all fits in with the census record that Christina found, except the enumerator probably mistranscribed Sarah's name as Sophia.

The 1841 census of Knaresborough (HO107/1285/16, folio 48, page 72) shows a Frances PEARSON, aged 35, who is married to Thomas PEARSON, aged 30, a Linen Weaver, born in Yorkshire. Could Thomas perhaps be the brother of your Sarah?

Will keep looking for a baptism for Sarah PEARSON c1815

Janet

janbooth

Unfortunately the marriage announcement in the Leeds Intelligencer dated 27 December 1832 gives little information about Sarah except that she was Miss Sarah E PEARSON of Knaresborough and Tresham was the incumbent of Earlsheaton. However, I note that on Ancestry Select Births & Christenings, there is a baptismal record at Knaresborough on 14 May 1819 of a Samuel PEARSON son of Samuel & Frances PEARSON, so perhaps here is another candidate for the witness at Sarah's wedding to Tresham. Samuel & Frances had another son John Joseph baptised in 1829 at Knaresborough, but baptismal records prior to 1819 are somewhat thin on the ground and no mention of a Sarah. In fact Knaresborough records are pretty thin on the ground full stop!

Janet

sleuthjan

This is my Gregg family - thanks. I should have mentioned that I have found the following records for Sarah: the 1861 England census, 1891 and 1901 England census, as well her marriage record and her burial record and such and they all say she is Sarah. Should I post the marriage record here? A witness for her marriage is Frances Pearson (a sister?) and someone whose name is difficult to read - looks like "Saml Pertpel." She was married at Christ Church in 1832. As she was living in Ireland ca. 1847 - forward a bit - and for some time after 1861, I expect that is why I've not found 1871 or 1881 England census records.

sleuthjan

Default Wow!

You are terrific! I don't see an icon for clapping but I am getting excited that we're on to something here. Thanks so much for finding the announcement in the Leeds Intelligencer. Is there any way I can view that news item?

I am happy that it confirms Sarah's middle initial of "E." I came across a record for the christening of a Sarah Elgie Pierson dated 15 May 1815 in Whitby, York, England. Now I don't know if Whitby is near Knaresborough but the father on that record was William "Pierson" and mother Hannah. But maybe that's not right - maybe her middle name was Elizabeth or Eleanor.

But I am also intrigued by the record of baptism you found for sons Samuel and John Joseph to Samuel and Frances Pearson. My one source for the name of "Samuel" being Sarah's father came from another descendant's family info (whereas my family info said "William"). Hence the confusion. But they had made a handwritten note on a family tree referencing The Irish Builder in 1887 - so I don't know if that is where they learned the name of Sarah's father or if that is where they learned about the date of her marriage to the Rev. Gregg. I've been unable to locate that particular newspaper item though I have found some others with regard to the Gregg family.

Then the 1841 census from Knaresborough you mentioned is intriguing too. Maybe then Frances Pearson was Sarah's sister-in-law.

Well, lots of things to sort out but I am very thankful for your efforts! I've been looking for a couple of years now - on and off - to see what I can learn about Sarah and in one day on this website I've gotten a lot of clues. Thanks so much!

Paul Marshall

Hi ... I'm looking. I can't add anything useful yet but I will get back to you if I do find anything. I will go and have a look again at those MI's at Knaresbro' library next week. Probably on Wednesday.

So if you give me a list of names you're looking for then I'll just photograph the pages and send them on to you.

So ...

PEARSON (and variants)
    GREGG
    PERTPEL ??

Are there any others I should keep my eyes peeled for?

Paul

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Now I don't know if Whitby is near Knaresborough
    Both sites are free

look at maps.google.co.uk

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Knaresborough/

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The marriage is copied onto ancestry forum and you had a good response form 'Bryan' Easiest to post the link!

https://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localit...6301.1/mb.ashx

The marriage was not subject of BANNS but of a LICENCE ( declaration) so you need to track this down!

Note that Sarah signs herself in 1853 as Sarah E GREGG

sleuthjan

Default intriguing!

Thanks to all!

Paul, I can't think of any other surnames to look for other than William or Samuel PEARSON, father of Sarah E. Pearson, and Frances Pearson (a witness). I thank you for looking in to this.

And to geneius, you are a dear to post the links. Ironically, the gentleman on Ancestry was replying to a post I had started there ;-). But what does it mean that they got a license? Is this record different from other marriage records? It does appear that there was a big age difference between Sarah and the Rev. She was only about 17 years old while he may have been about 32 (if I recall correctly). So maybe they had to get special permission to wed. Do you think Sarah's parents may have been required to sign as witnesses? Intriguing! If that is the case, maybe her parents are right on the record - and Sam'l Pertpel is really Sam'l Pearson?! Anyway, I will re-view Bryan's post.

Thanks too to Janet for help. You all are terrific!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast