Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Put "Pannal Hall" (with the "") into Google - there are quite a lot of results.

janbooth

I don't know if this will be any help to you but there is a Knaresborough Family History site online and there are 3 references to the PEARSON family of Pannal/Knaresborough with email addresses of people who are researching the PEARSONs (www.knaresborough.co.uk/history/family/mnop.asp). You might be able to contact them to see if they have any other information than that you already have.

Janet

sleuthjan

That was a good tip - lots of links. I found a Google ebook entitled "The History and Topography of Harrogate and the Forest of Knaresborough" by William Grainge. Describes the area - including Pannal - and some of the people there. Pannal Hall seems to have a long history and was rebuilt in the 1800s. Seems to have been an estate and had a school at one time? There was an interesting mention, to me anyway, on page 216 of a burial: "1846 - Matthew Pearson, Knaresbro', aged 112, Nov. 8th." Wonder if he is an ancestor of mine! Thanks!

sleuthjan

I think I saw that site and did email the folks listed there. One of them wrote back but we weren't sure how/if we connected. But maybe now that I have more information, I'll email her again. Thank you!

Paul Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Marshall View Post
    The Knaresbro' registers, as I understand, are still at Knaresbro' ... you will have to get in touch with the verger there.
    As I say you should get in touch with the people in the office at Knaresborough Parish Church (St. John the Baptist)... I'm sure they will be happy to help ... maybe in a week or two, I expect they're quite busy right now. I didn't get to the library to look at those MI's ... probably will be after Christmas/New Year now. I can tell you that PEARSON is not an unusual name around this neck of the woods and you will find quite a few of them in the phone book. I'll get back to you later if I find any relevant information. Have a happy one and all the best for 2015.

Cheers, Paul

From wintry Harrogate, near Knaresborough, North Yorkshire (we used to be in the West Riding of Yorkshire before 1974) ...

sleuthjan

This is probably my best bet after all ;-) Paul. I will heed your advice and wait until after the holidays. I appreciate very much that you may poke about as well and agree that Pearson is not an uncommon name :-). But at least I know Sarah's father was Samuel Pearson of Pannal Hall. Thanks again. Hope your holidays are joyous too! Cheers, Janice

Paul Marshall

I photographed some (not all) of the remaining headstones at St John's, Knaresborough a few years ago and posted them on Yorkshire Indexers.

This one is interesting ...

https://www.yorkshireindexers.info/ga...age.php?i=4738

Paul

sleuthjan

Default Success!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Marshall View Post
    I photographed some (not all) of the remaining headstones at St John's, Knaresborough a few years ago and posted them on Yorkshire Indexers.

This one is interesting ...

https://www.yorkshireindexers.info/ga...age.php?i=4738

Paul
    Thanks much Paul! I would love to take a look. Is there a fee for registering with that website?

I am especially excited right now as - having re-contacted person mentioned in one of my previous posts - I have confirmation that Samuel Pearson, b. 1783, d. 1847, is my 3 times great-grandfather who married Frances Dunwell in 1808 (she was born in about 1787 and died in 1828). So now there is loads of info - and Samuel was the innkeeper/brewer/malster of Hart's Horns. Very cool. So this has just made my holiday season - genealogy-wise anyway ;-). The only thing I have not found is his daughter Sarah Pearson's birth record but that may still show up. Not sure if I need to find the other marriage record for Sarah now but it still might be fun to see if I can locate it. Since Sarah's mother died in 1828, she would not have been a witness to her daughter's marriage in 1832. However, Sarah had an aunt by the name of Frances Pearson ... so that would make sense that she may have signed the marriage license. Well, sleuthing pays off!

sleuthjan

OK - figured out there was no charge, so that was nice - and registered at Yorkshire Indexers. However, I am confused by that headstone and wonder when it was erected. Since my Sarah was born ca. 1815 and did not die until 1902 (as Sarah Gregg) .... According to the info I have now, Samuel and Frances Pearson had at least two children (for whom my new "cousin" found records): a son Samuel who was christened 14 May 1819, and a son John Joseph who was christened 17 July 1829, both at Knaresborough. That being said, Samuel and Frances married in 1808 so there could have been another son named Samuel and another daughter named Sarah who, perhaps, both died young, so they may be relatives too. Thank you for providing that link - I do think that Samuel and Frances Pearson may be buried at St. John's as well.

janbooth

What a brilliant result for you Janice and how lovely to find a "cousin". Thanks for letting us know the outcome and good luck with the rest of your research. Do let us know if we can help further.

Janet

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast