Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by sleuthjan View Post
    Sam'l Pertpel is really Sam'l Pearson?!
    Are you able to post a pic of where "Sam'l Pertpel" is written? The sleuths here may be able to decipher it

sleuthjan

Default Sarah Pearson and Rev. T. D. Gregg, marriage

I'd be happy for help from British Genealogy sleuths! I'll upload with this message. It is at the top of the page on the right. Let me know what you think. "Saml Pertpel" (as it appears to me) signature is around the witness area.

Boy, it really looks hard to read. I'll see a bit later if I can do better.

sleuthjan

Default Maybe this will help

I've edited to show only the marriage of Sarah Pearson and Rev. Tresham Dames Gregg - hope this works!

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm pretty sure it's Saml Pearson. The second one, as you said, is Frances Pearson, and the third one, in case it's any help, is Robert Wray.

Arthur

sleuthjan

Hi - Just visited the Borthwick Institute website and did a search of their records - made it really simple, just using the bride and groom's surnames - nothing came up. I've sent them an email and will let you know if I get my answer on this. I saw mention saying that "it may be necessary to check the church register to confirm that the marriage took place." Does anyone know if Christ Church would have those records? I thought such records might be located at a central location now - like Leeds?

sleuthjan

Thanks! I am glad to get the thoughts of others on this - it is interesting and you may be correct. I think Robert Wray was just the clerk/registrar as he signed some of the other licenses as well.

sleuthjan

Update. I had gotten a list of search results at the Borthwick Institute. When I went to view, I was told I had to have a subscription. Anyway, it wound up that I had to subscribe to "Find My Past." Then I searched that website and pulled up zero (0) results no matter how I searched. Am unable to sign in at the Borthwick (which I thought was included with my subscription to FMP) - they don't recognize me. Don't know what is going on but I've emailed FMP and hope to figure out what is going on. Anyone else know?

Famous for offering help & advice

I have pretty extensive Yorkshire interests, and I thought I knew where most records were kept, but I've learnt something new today. A lot of the difficulties arise because Yorkshire, as England's largest county, was administered as smaller units:

For civil local government, until 1974, it was basically in three Ridings (North, East and West), plus the City of York. In 1974 it was totally reorganised, and there have been further changes since, although the post-1974 authorities still mostly form the framework within which county archives record offices operate. Harrogate (formerly in WRY) is in the post-1974 North Yorkshire, whose record office is in Northallerton.

From a church point of view, most of Yorkshire was in the Diocese of York, but this was gradually split up, starting with the creation of the Diocese of Ripon in 1836. This included Harrogate. (Within the past year, some of the Yorkshire dioceses have recombined, but I haven't heard of any implications of this for records and archives.)

Parish registers are mostly kept at the record office for whichever post-1974 county a parish finds itself in, although those for the York area are at the Borthwick Institute, part of the University of York. The Borthwick also holds the majority of Yorkshire Bishops Transcripts.

What was new to me today was to learn that the parish registers and bishops transcripts for Harrogate are kept at West Yorkshire Archives in Leeds, as I would have expected them to be at Northallerton and the Borthwick respectively. This has implications for where they can be found online.

West Yorkshire Archives Service has an agreement with Ancestry, and images of the PRs can be seen there. Most, if not all, other Yorkshire archives have made an agreement with FindMyPast, and their registers and the BTs can be seen there. Contrary to (my) expectations, therefore, Harrogate registers can be seen at Ancestry. I'm not sure about the BTs - they're definitely not at FindMyPast, but I don't think I've noticed them at Ancestry either.

I wasn't aware of being able to sign in at the Borthwick and view records. I think it's more likely a case of viewing their catalogue and being notified that the records can be viewed by subscription on another site.

Something the Borthwick can usually help with for Yorkshire is marriage licences. There was one here; you've said that Sarah was only 17, and in those circumstances it's virtually certain that it would name her father. As Geneius has pointed out, it would be worth tracking down. Unfortunately, I can't see it in the list of Yorkshire marriage bonds (online at FindMyPast), so possibly it was issued by one of the superior London courts. Off the top of my head I'm not sure where you can find a list of these, but maybe someone else knows...

I hope this is all clear and helpful. I've learnt something, so thanks for the interesting question.

Arthur

sleuthjan

Thanks Arthur! I'll admit that some of this is confusing to me ;-). That being said, you've explained it well - it's just rather a muddle how jurisdictions changed - and who has what records. I am somewhat at a loss as to what to do. London courts? Anyway, I now have subscriptions at Ancestry and FindMyPast and have not found the Bond and Allegation records I seek at either site (and already mentioned what happened at Borthwick). As for the West Yorkshire Archives in Leeds, they are now only doing short searches. For some reason, research services being offered right now are limited - though I could try the short search. What I appreciate is your comment that, given Sarah's age, the marriage license I've posted would name her father. If that is the case, her father is Samuel, i.e., the Saml "Pertpel" could be Samuel Pearson. Perhaps her mother was Frances? Would that be a logical conclusion? Many thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Paul Marshall

What was new to me today was to learn that the parish registers and bishops transcripts for Harrogate are kept at West Yorkshire Archives in Leeds, as I would have expected them to be at Northallerton and the Borthwick respectively. This has implications for where they can be found online.
    I'm not sure where you got that information from ?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast