Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Steph123

Default I'm a bit put out!

Sorry to be a moaner on my first venture in to here but I'm trying to find my grandfather's war records. Unfortunately I only have his name, dob etc but no informtion at all about his service.
    I started looking on the free part of the site nd was then enticed in to paying a subscription only to dicover at this late date that if I didn't have his regiment, service number etc there would be no way to find him.
    I've written to customer services about this because I think it should be made clearer at the start

Brick wall demolition expert!

This site is British Genealogy Forum and NOT Forces War Records. FWR kindly sponsor this forum. This forum deals with all genealogical matters not just military ones.

Steph123

Thanks, They've kindly agreed to refunding my subscription. I do think they shoukd make ita bit clearer though.

Nicolina

why not post what info you have about your Grandfather, on here, and let the Super Sleuths loose. We love a good mystery.

I must point out that there's a message at the top of this (and the other WW2-related) forums saying that the MOD still hasn't released WW2 records.

Steph123

I was searching for WW1.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Since it is WW1 post your details and we will see what we can find.

regards

Robert

Steph123

My great grandfather James Chidzey Groves, born 1856 in Bristol, by 1882 was living in London. The only reason I thought he might have been in the army is because in his will he says who he was leaving his 'gold and silver medals' to. Because of his age I realise now it is unlikely to be WW1. Could it be an earlier war OR perhaps the medals are nothing at all to do with armed service. May be he got something for best goldfish in show or the biggest leak!
    Thanks any way - I think I've probably got you all on a wild goose chase but I'm very grateful for your offers.

A fountain of knowledge

Have to say there are good tutorials on FWRs site too, I apologise you didn't see them but it isn't all that obvious on any other site IMHO that the vast majority of service records for WWI went up in flames either.

I'm pleased FWR sorted your issue out for you, the moral of this story being that doing free/basic research and reading everything available or even asking questions before paying for membership on subscription sites is the sensible way.
    Bearing in mind the name 'Chidzey' is hardly common I ran a search myself and FWR have 165 persons with names such as James Groves or similar, although the second Christian name is uncommon you'll be very lucky to find that on most military records IME, this was the subject of quite a long thread on expert type WWI forums too, so I'm not alone in that viewpoint/frustration.

I cannot see where a free search would have definitely led you to pay however since there are none of the exact name, and it's clear you'd need to filter down using service details after the free stage.

Now , let's see if anyone can help you.

The glimmer on the horizon for anyone who doesn't have regiment/number info and needs to search names using DOB/NOK details only is the pension records cards if they are ever released as currently they are undigitised.
    These are highly likely to be the only records still 'out there' where DOB/address/NOK details can be found -although ironically they won't then point to service details in most cases anyway since the records containing that simply no longer exist, a brick wall smashed just to lead to another brick wall?

Nicolina

I think it's doubtful that he served in WW1, as he'd be 58 when war was declared.
    Did he marry Florence Helen BAILES on 8th May 1876 at Saint Giles Cripplegate,London?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast