Chrissie575

Default William V. Taylor WW1

Hi, I am looking for any details of my Grandfathers WW1 army records. I have his medals & on two of them printed on the side is '2706 GNR W. TAYLOR RA & the other one is 'WILLIAM V. TAYLOR' . I have looked on
    Forces War Records but can't find anything - any ideas please?
    Regards
    chris

Hi Chris

WW1 service records are licensed to ancestry and Findmypast only. Bear in mind that over 60% of WW1 personal service and pension records were destroyed by fire/bombing in WW11 so it is likely you will not find any service records. However there should be at least a Medal Roll Index Card for your grandfather and possibly a medal and awards entry for him. Having the regiment number should have made it easy but I have tried to find a medal card for him using any and all combinations of name/initial/just surname/just number and I can't see any Taylor with a service number 2706 with the initials W V or name William. The closest I have come is a Harry Wallis Taylor born 1896 service number 2706 Regiment Royal Field Artillery, 3/3rd London Brigade 1915.
    There is a service record for a William V Taylor on ancestry. Mother Annie Taylor living in Early Yorkshire but his service number is 17860.

ancestry are offering free searches and views of the Medal Index rolls until the end of the year if you want to take a look and see if you can find what I can't. There are 11 W V Taylors but none with the service number you give.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

WO 372/19/181253 this is his medal card reference at the national archives.

His original number was 2706 But he was later transferred (or the part of the royal artillery he was in was amalgamated into) the Royal Field artillery and his number changed to 686460.

I can see from his medal roll listing he was a Gunner/Signaller and then later a leading Bombardier, his earlier number is prefixed with a T which means he was a territorial IIRC?

However there was no part of the service record I could find unfortunately.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

What 2 medals do you have, the 2nd one should also have RA rank and service number if it is a military one, or do you have more?
    MIC is on Ancestry under 2nd service number, has a pair.
    TF = Territorial Force

regards

Robert

Chrissie575

Hi Christina, timbo58 & Robert,
    Thanks very much for answering & the info you've all given is interesting!
    There 3 medals & I think they all the standard medals given with ribbons. 2 have the head of George V & on the reverse one has ''for war service mercantile marine 1914-1918' & the other has a person on horseback with 1914 & 1918. The 3rd medal has what looks like an angel on one side & ' the Great War for civilisation' on the back. They all have his name, service number(2706) GNR & RA on the edge. What does 11RC mean?
    Will take a look at Ancestry.
    Thank you
    Chris

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi Chris

IIRC - if I remember correctly!!
    He has the British War, Victory and Mercantile Marine medals, see here - https://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/themedals.html and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercant...rine_War_Medal
    the last one is not really a standard one, very specific to those who were awarded it.

regards

Robert